TS Classsical Cassegrain 8" - will the Vixen saddle hold firm enough?

Hello, I've just bought the TS Classsical Cassegrain 8" scope,  and have the StellaLyra Duo Az mount (similar to SkyTee II mount). This mount has Vixen style saddles on both its heads.

I know that cc8 has both Losmandy and Vixen plates on its tube, so technically I can connect it to my StellaLyra mount rightaway, without any customization. But I'm unsure if this connection will be firm/durable enough? The tube weight is about 8,7 kg.

I was going to replace one Vixen saddle on my mount with the Losmandy saddle, but just don't want to pay half of the whole mount price just for saddle, if it's not inevitable.

I am using in my mounts double screw clamps - TS DeLuxe for the AltAz and ADM for the EQ6.

Looking on FLO site I've happen to notice this beauty https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html that acording to the model selector can be ordered to fit directly your  StellaLyra AltAz mount. 

I have reach the conclusion - luckily looking at OTHER people telescopes going bang - that peace of mind in the darkness of the night is a very important matter.

Posted (edited)

My Stella Lyra already has quite descent Vixen saddle - no point to swap it to another Vixen that costs 1\3 of the whole mount price.

image.png.56c7273a69e917e6105f81f0a8603c89.png

I was thinking of this one, Losmandy standard - ADM D Series Saddle 8mm Counterbored Version | First Light Optics, but again, I'm trying to avoid unnecessary budget spending, since my wife doesn't understand much what's the point to look at things in the sky, so I have to be sure that I suffer for a reason )).

Edited by Max32

Those Vixen saddles aren't the best nor the most secure on the Skytee, Stella Lyra mount. I immediately fitted the ADM replacement on mine when I owned it. The supplied saddles are okay for lighter scopes but I wouldn't trust them with anything substantial. The vixen rail will support the scope without issue.

• Like 1

Aha! I've just checked - it only looks similar, but made from aluminium (the neodymium magnet doesn't stick to it), so probably you're right - it may be not secure enough.

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Those Vixen saddles aren't the best nor the most secure on the Skytee, Stella Lyra mount. I immediately fitted the ADM replacement on mine when I owned it. The supplied saddles are okay for lighter scopes but I wouldn't trust them with anything substantial. The vixen rail will support the scope without issue.

Me too. A replacement scope is much more expensive than the saddle upgrade. 

• Like 1