The not so clear skies recently

tomato

Is it just my location but have the recent smattering of ‘clear’ nights in the UK been plagued with an all pervading milkiness which prevents any hope of deep sky/NB imaging or for that matter visual? On the last 3 sessions I have set imaging runs away only to see a meagre amount of stars coming through on the subs. I suppose the conditions might be OK for moon/planetary/multiple star systems but for DSOs they have been a non starter. 

I think I prefer thick cloud, at least then I won’t waste my time going out.

Selfish rant now over.🤨

• Like 2

I'm more concerned with the constant clear night forecasts within the past fortnight suddenly manifesting into blanket cloud. Even couldn't PA the other night, managed it 15 minutes later to then not be able to plate solve and then surrounded by cloud when it was forecast clear.

The last few weeks I’ve found to be accurate and really clear here (save for a small drizzle which caught me unaware at 3am 🤬). See my 27 hours on M27! 

But the forecast for the last 2 nights and tonight have been clear. All night, by 3 different forecasts. Other than seeing the Full Moon briefly tonight in a lovely red glow as it was rising, I’ve not even seen a star. 

I've just abandoned an imaging session as the sky has gotten milkier over the last couple of hours. Didn't start out too bad but now no stars visible and the Moon showing through a yellow pea-souper. The subs were getting gradually worse. It's disheartening when this happens as "clear" skies are few and far between and if you're trying to troubleshoot any issues with your rig and are already clock watching the remaining darkness it's not much fun. 

I read somewhere it could be related to the fires they've had in the US, smoke in the high atmosphere coming over on the jetstream.. 

• Like 1

Certainly a mixed bag here. Lots of late changes in forecasts (mostly for the worst), and a fair amount of haze or high cloud around. So yes, fairly poor pickings for this time of year for me, but a handful of sessions in the last month have been OK at least in parts.

I haven't imaged since early March and that was in north Norfolk. I've even had problems with solar imaging. It's cloudy almost all the time here and drizzling. 

For full disclosure, I bought a new AA 80mm Wave refractor in March............

Anne

This week we have had the soot from Canadian wildfires carried over the UK by the jetstream. I had very poor transparency even during the day.

On the plus side amazing red sunsets and sunrises. The moonrise yesterday was blood red:

IMG_1176.thumb.JPG.797f9040ab885ae5476b3c878b0a8726.JPG

Its supposed to clear tonight with  rain. 

The forecast for Wednesday morning is good. It's the lunar occultation of Saturn at about 4am.

SharedScreenshot.thumb.jpg.df40535d8fb9c3a148d4c0d0fe62d34c.jpg

Fingers crossed🤞

• Like 6

Well, at least we have a specific cause, I shouldn’t moan considering the trauma folks have had to endure from the fires on the other side of the Atlantic.

On 19/08/2024 at 08:29, Nik271 said:

This week we have had the soot from Canadian wildfires carried over the UK by the jetstream. I had very poor transparency even during the day.

On the plus side amazing red sunsets and sunrises. The moonrise yesterday was blood red:

Its supposed to clear tonight with  rain. 

The forecast for Wednesday morning is good. It's the lunar occultation of Saturn at about 4am.

Fingers crossed🤞

I'm down the road in Littlemore, nothing but cloud the last few nights, tonight is pretty thick and high level. Rangefinder gave an average height of 2082m (6829ft) across the base - not looking good. 

Bloody hell - looked outside - clouds cleared, we had crystal clear blue skies just before sunset - carried all my kit outside, go myself set up - went inside, had a cuppa (don't normally do that this late but hey ho), answered some emails - its dark - right, lets align the scopes - thick cloud - not a bit of clear sky anywhere - Seriously Mother nature - get a life!! 😂

57 minutes ago, Jim Franklin said:

Bloody hell - looked outside - clouds cleared, we had crystal clear blue skies just before sunset - carried all my kit outside, go myself set up - went inside, had a cuppa (don't normally do that this late but hey ho), answered some emails - its dark - right, lets align the scopes - OFFS - thick cloud - not a bit of clear sky anywhere - Seriously Mother nature - get a life!! 😂

I find a weather site like Sat24  that shows visible or infrared satellite pictures useful for seeing how clear it’s likely to be tonight. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1