Which 12” Dobsonian?

1 minute ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I always have an empty sheep feed bag at hand

It's always better to feed empty sheep.
The full ones aren't as interested in the feed bag.
I'll get my (woollen) coat ........ 🚪

• Haha 3

On 18/08/2024 at 18:10, RobertI said:

I’m sure this has been discussed at length, but I can’t find many relevant threads, so here goes. I’m considering getting a 12” dob for visual. I’ve had smaller scopes up to 8” for many years but have had very little experience of larger apertures apart from a wonderful look through some large dobs (16”-20”) last year at Kelling. I would be using the scope mainly from my Bortle 4/5 garden and potentially putting in the car to take to Kelling once or twice a year. I’m hoping to be able to see a bit more of everything with the 12”, including hints of spiral arms and dark lanes in the brighter galaxies, more structure in nebulae such as the Crescent and possibly some challenge objects like the Horsehead. I will probably initially have to store it outside in a small shed or under a Telegizmos cover…. or both. 

So some key questions; is it worth it from my limited skies, which one to get, and do I really understand what I’m getting myself into?! I suppose the most important question is, will I actually use the thing?

There seem to be three main contenders in my price range, the StellaLyra solid tube, the Skywatcher Flexitube, and the Explore Scientific Ultra Light. I am thinking that options 1 & 2 will not be transportable in my family hatchback with tent, etc due to the huge rocker boxes (unless they dismantle?), so that renders the ability to collapse the Flexitube redundant. So it’s either observing from home only with Option 1, or possible observing trips with option 3. I am currently inclined to option 1…..

Thanks for reading this far, any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Imho, I'd go with a truss design, especially if you think you might get away to darker skies.

I had a solid tube Skywatcher 250px, and observed from my back garden.  However, I travel with my 15" truss dob about 15mins away to darker skies with low horizons.  For some reason, I never travelled with my 10" solid tube.  The truss dob packs into the car better, despite being bigger.

Brought the truss dob to Bortle 2 skies: OMG!!! wow....

3 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

Yes, rain and cloud are the biggest obstacles to observing here. I’m going mad at the moment with a new scope and no opportunity to even have a look at the moon with all the cloud and rain. A good night is fantastic here but I would imasgine Texas is better.

I always have an empty sheep feed bag at hand for my scopes 😂 no need to worry if they get a hole in them - there are always plenty more in the shed!

It's brutal here right now with highs up around 105 F to 109 F.  No rain in three weeks, so the grass is suffering in the heat.  It is clear all night if you can suffer through the heat.  It only drops down to 80 F in the morning, so still uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the continuing thoughts (and jokes!) everyone. Having decided on the idea of a solid tube to stay in the garden, I’m now thinking a truss dob would give the delicious possibility of viewing from some really dark skies - what a treat that would be.

I have now booked an Orion Optics 12” for the month of November, so hoping for some dark skies and also the possibility of Jupiter, Mars and Luna to give me a real feel for what a 12” can do. I shall also be going to Kelling in October and shall try and blag a look through a 12” whilst there. 👍

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 4

Good idea to rent / borrow something of that aperture to see what it can do.

My back garden is around bortle 5 and I found that a 12 inch could go pretty "deep" on decently dark nights. I managed to see the Horsehead Nebula a few times, with the aid of an H-Beta filter.

Exploring areas such as the Virgo "bowl", where galaxies abound, is really absorbing - too many faint smudges at times to know where you are !

Panning along the Markarian's Chain on the Virgo / Coma border is amazing - as many as a dozen galaxies in the field at once with a wide field eyepiece.

Features / details start to appear in the brighter DSO's that have gone previously unnoticed. Hickson and other galaxy groupings become very interesting.

Get some strong coffee in - you have some long nights ahead 🙂

• Like 7

7 hours ago, RobertI said:

Thanks for the continuing thoughts (and jokes!) everyone. Having decided on the idea of a solid tube to stay in the garden, I’m now thinking a truss dob would give the delicious possibility of viewing from some really dark skies - what a treat that would be.

I have now booked an Orion Optics 12” for the month of November, so hoping for some dark skies and also the possibility of Jupiter, Mars and Luna to give me a real feel for what a 12” can do. I shall also be going to Kelling in October and shall try and blag a look through a 12” whilst there. 👍

Excellent idea to get a feeling for it.

Another advantage of a flextube is that when the tube on its base is stored collapsed indoors it doesn't take 'much' space. My 12" sits at the corner of the sitting room and its height is shorter than the 8" solid tube. When I leave it extended to dry after a session, my wife has commented on it.

The solid tube will be much heavier to lift, so consider where you will be storing and moving it.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

Good idea to rent / borrow something of that aperture to see what it can do.

My back garden is around bortle 5 and I found that a 12 inch could go pretty "deep" on decently dark nights. I managed to see the Horsehead Nebula a few times, with the aid of an H-Beta filter.

Exploring areas such as the Virgo "bowl", where galaxies abound, is really absorbing - too many faint smudges at times to know where you are !

Panning along the Markarian's Chain on the Virgo / Coma border is amazing - as many as a dozen galaxies in the field at once with a wide field eyepiece.

Features / details start to appear in the brighter DSO's that have gone previously unnoticed. Hickson and other galaxy groupings become very interesting.

Get some strong coffee in - you have some long nights ahead 🙂

Thanks John those are exactly the kinds of objects I was hoping to see, good to know what I can expect. Yes coffee and late nights, I’ll have to plan one or two recovery days in! 

2 hours ago, Kon said:

The solid tube will be much heavier to lift, so consider where you will be storing and moving it.

My plan was to ultimately store it outside on a handy corner of the patio, and wheel it into place when needed. Possibly under a Telegizmos cover or sentry box or both. Would have the advantage of much reduced cool down time. I guess the outside storage is a whole other topic, but that was my thinking.

• Like 1