More with the 102ED - Observing 15-16th /08/24

Ratlet

Despite the torrential rain through the day, CO said we would be having clear skies, and sure enough as darkness descended the skies remained clear.  I set up the 102ED and the GEM 28.  Arcturus was behind the trees from my setup location so I had to contend with somewhat dimmer stars for alignment, but nothing too traumatic.  Let the 17.5mm Morpheus stretch its legs for a good bit of it.

NGC 6802 - unable to observe.  thought I had it but looking at sketches, nope.  Think maybe the sky was a bit bright this close to the horizon.

NGC 6633 -fairly loose collection of stars, all of similar brightness apart from one to the top right which was significantly brighter.

At 23:39 a bright meteor went skiting past south of Vega heading in a North - South direction.  I also kicked the leg of my tripod.  Go-To somewhat less than impressed.

At this point I decided to give Carbon Stars a shot.  A lot of the summer targets are too low down from this far north and anything below about 23° is below my house (I do have a cunning plan however).

V Aquilae - Just couldn't find it.  Nothing lept out in the immediate area.

TT Cygni - Pronounced orange colour.  Pretty much bang in the middle of a triangle of brighter stars.

T Lyrae - Very red in the Morpheus, almost looked like it was orange in the middle with a red ring around it.  Thought that the 8mm BST had less pleasing colour than the Morpheus, but the 12mm compared favourably to it.

Double Double - Decided to see how I faired splitting it with different eyepieces.  Unable to split with the 17.5mm or the 12mm however I could with the 8mm.  Throwing the BST x2 barlow on all of them got splits, although you'd struggle to get a credit card between them with the 17.5mm with the barlow.  

M31 -  Tried both the 24mm/82° and the Morpheus on it whilst doing some timelapse.  It looked really good.  Still can't get any real detail out of it.  The Morpheus did a great job.  I could see one of the sattelite galaxies but didn't determine which one.  I was pretty gassed by this point.

Saturn - By this time it had finally cleared the neighbours house and was in the sweet spot before it got above mine.  Seeing was what I would asses as pretty good.  I went in and grabbed the SVbony zoom and could comfortably get up to 4mm (erroenously wrote 5mm, but it was the penultimate stop) before I felt the image started to degrade.  No detail in the banding evident, however there was a clear shadow from the rings on the face.

I had also decided to do some experimenting with the moveshoot move.  I attached it to a solar finder I had in my bag (short and stubby) and then used my phone to take images in astrophotgraphy mode just point ahead of the scope.  I thought it worked very well.  I'm going to by a dedicated phone holder and 3D print finder shoe for it.  Gives some nice images of from the evening and some very short time lapse.  I wonder how well it would do attached to a finder scope proper?

• Like 11

Nice report on an interesting variety of objects. I enjoy using my 102ED with the 17.5mm Morpheus for clusters and general low power stuff, it’s a nice combo. 👍

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Nice report on an interesting variety of objects. I enjoy using my 102ED with the 17.5mm Morpheus for clusters and general low power stuff, it’s a nice combo. 👍

Looking forward to trying it out later in the year when Auriga is well placed.  The clusters in there are some of my favourites.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Thos little Timelapse’s are cool, just 30 secs captures? Is the mount tracking? 

Yeah, that sounds about right.  5 minutes per timelapse.

If you are after a phone holder I’d avoid the plastic ones sold to go on tripods. Also avoid those that rely on a strong spring to hold the phone in place (all too easy to nudge the OTA off track when installing/removing).

The holders that I find best are those that are all metal and sold to attached to motorbikes. And those that hold the phone via an adjustable threaded clamping knob. 

Sounds like a great evening with a great scope.

I can relate to your evening, finding and not finding targets, the scudding fine cloud,
feels very much like many f my sessions, fun times.

I like the video idea, not tried this myself, look forward to more from you.

I've gone for one of these.  Plenty of screw holes for attaching things to it and attaching it to things.  Made from aluminium allegedly.  Bit of a bargain at £7 when ordered.

I also wanted it because it should double as just a phone holder so I can catch the northern lights from my upstairs room which faces north and to test whether it'll work with Starsense without a mirror.

I'm trying to venture out and work through actual lists rather than the usual lastminute dot com observing I usually do lol.

Screenshot_20240818-113801.png