Can you power a mount via ASIair Plus?

Just got a few new toys including the ASIAIR Plus and, when perusing the quick start guide, diagrams seem to suggest plugging a mount into one of the 12v outlets.

I am a bit concerned that doing so, along with an EAF, cooled camera, guide camera and maybe dew straps may lead to overload?

My mount is an HEQ5PRO.

Personally I wouldn't, I power my EQ6-R separately - 35-40kg of inertia certainly demands power from the motors and I've never been confident enough in the little power ports for that. That said, I do power my SA GTI from the ASIAir seeing as it's so small and has a low payload, power demands aren't nearly as high. 

• Like 2

It depends on the total power draw of the whole system. I have always powered a mount via the air or if I've had issues then I power the mount then feed the air from the mount.

For this reason dew prevention other than my sct dew ring are always powered separately because they are quite demanding which you'll see when you use batteries, the feed off your mains highly depends on the output capacity of the adaptor being used, though the air itself can only output 3-5A I believe.

• Like 1

It's confusing even if you read the specs. The output of all the ports at maximum would far exceed what the maximum input can accept.  The hungriest devices are usually the mount, powered cameras and dew heaters.  If under supplied the issues can be erratic and if you search forums there will always be the few who say it's fine for them (until they get an issue).

Best advice is to have a suitable power supply (or several) and split it to supply separate feed to the  ASIAir and the mount/camera.

• Like 1

As I understand it, the output power supplies from the asiair are straight through and do not affect the asiair circuitry, but as with all things and as StevieDvd said, the output can exceed the input. I've no idea if the outputs or even the input within the asiair is fused in some way but things do go wrong and as such I would rather one thing went bang rather than two. That's why I always supply things like the mount or dew strips separately from the asiair. All the best. 

• Like 1

I think it's a shared total output. So if you're feeding in 5A, that's all you're going to get total out of all the 12v outs combined. If it were the case that each output would run at full power I would never have had to source a separate 12v box distributor, or why people use Pegasus powerboxes.

Also, I've ran my whole setup on one lifepo4 battery when the battery was below 10.8v, think it was closer to 10v at the time, it continued to run no issue (autoguiding fine, cooling fine, images being captured fine) but at that voltage it was an indicator that the battery was almost empty, but such circumstances vary depending on connected devices.

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I think I shall use the ASIAIR for the cameras and as a techno spaghetti reduction device, whilst continuing to power the mount with its own supply.