Stargazing on a bus route? South Downs or SE England

Hi everyone.

I've got two school-age children, and I'm keen to take them on their first stargazing trip. We live in London where we have everything, except dark skies!

I'm considering a trip to the South Downs, which is handy for trains and famous for its Dark Sky sites.

I am however looking to do this by public transport, so I hit a problem: I'm looking for locations that are easily accessible, but still reasonably dark.  I've been trying to cross-reference rail maps, bus maps and light pollution maps and my head's started to spin. A spot on a bus route is more likely (train stations tend to be near well-lit areas) but these maps are harder to compile.

So I thought I'd come on here and look for personal recommendations. Can anyone recommend anywhere that is:

- Dark!

- Close to a bus route.

- Otherwise useful for stargazing.

- Safe enough after sunset to take a couple of kids.

A tricky ask I know, but I thought if anyone knows, it'll be this community!

Thank you very much for reading.

From my experience dark sites are kind of in the middle of nowhere (away from built up areas, ammeneties etc) with some amount of walking in the dark to do.

Maybe a better option for you is to book a stay at a dark site location, a lot of the dark parks have cabins/accomodation sites nearby.

• Like 3

You have to also be certain the kids are comfortable in the true dark, will be patient, it also gets cold very quickly, not something you want to be dealing with when you're remote. It's not like you can quickly pack up and "go home".

• Like 1

I agree, staying on a campsite or  B&B in dark skies would be safer,  but not having a car will be severely limiting.  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Do you mind me asking how old the kids are? Elp mentioned patience, I run into this regularly with my 8 year old who is always keen to get out in the garden to look at the moon with me, but can't even wait long enough for me to point the telescope in the right direction. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/08/2024 at 23:02, Martyn87 said:

Do you mind me asking how old the kids are? Elp mentioned patience, I run into this regularly with my 8 year old who is always keen to get out in the garden to look at the moon with me, but can't even wait long enough for me to point the telescope in the right direction. 

Yes kids are generally impatient to varying degrees. Though there are exceptions to the rule. I myself was gifted my first telescope when I was eight years old. It was a 4.5" Charles Frank reflector on a less than ideal tripod. I used to nag my father to take me to the nearby countryside on clear nights and literally had to be dragged home. On most nights I was found sitting in my bedroom in the cold with the lights off and windows wide open. Recalling those memories brings a smile to my face. So my point is that patience is indeed a spectrum where children are concerned, albeit the majority of them falling on the having little patience side.

• Like 3