Decision time. Bigger eyepiece case or fewer eyepieces?

@Littleguy80 I just realized your subject title "Decision time. Bigger eyepiece case or fewer eyepieces?" is what's known as a False Choice Question.  Clearly, we've demonstrated there are far more than two answers to your dilemma.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

@Littleguy80 I just realized your subject title "Decision time. Bigger eyepiece case or fewer eyepieces?" is what's known as a False Choice Question.  Clearly, we've demonstrated there are far more than two answers to your dilemma.

Haha good point, Louis! I might leave the title with just the two choices in though 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the final decision has surprised even me. Having picked out a new larger eyepiece case, I’ve gone 180 degrees and put 7 eyepieces up for sale! I did *cough* but an eyepiece but that’s strictly a one out, one in situation. I actually feel really good about the decision. If the end result is I find that I’m missing an eyepiece or two then I’ll have fun choosing replacements and still end up with fewer eyepieces than I started with. 

• Like 3

SGL members sit in a circle.
"Hi, I'm Neil and I've put 7 eyepieces up for sale this week."
Everyone claps.  Well done Neil.
[They all pull out their phone and furtively check the classified section to snap up 7 new eyepieces.]

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Well the final decision has surprised even me. Having picked out a new larger eyepiece case, I’ve gone 180 degrees and put 7 eyepieces up for sale! I did *cough* but an eyepiece but that’s strictly a one out, one in situation. I actually feel really good about the decision. If the end result is I find that I’m missing an eyepiece or two then I’ll have fun choosing replacements and still end up with fewer eyepieces than I started with. 

Good for you Neil. I thought I might regret letting my "big ones" go but, so far, I've not missed them.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, John said:

Good for you Neil. I thought I might regret letting my "big ones" go but, so far, I've not missed them.

Thanks John. It's the fear of regretting selling an eyepiece that has often held me back. I said to my wife this evening that I really enjoy the process of researching and buying eyepieces so if I end up feeling like I've left myself a gap then I get to do something I like to fix that. Slightly backwards logic perhaps but hopefully that's how it'll work out!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

She does. I’m getting away with it due to favourable ratio of incoming to outgoing eyepieces 😂

I use the same technique.....:grin:

• Haha 1

My equipment "tide" has been mostly outwards recently, to the point where my other half has become concerned that I'm going to pack the hobby in 🙄

I'm not (of course) but I am trying hard to discriminate between items that I use often and those which I'm basically storing. I don't run an astro equipment museum here so if it's not being used, I'm happy to move it on to somewhere where it will get used.

Plus it's nice to build up a decent balance in the astro budget for when something really interesting does crop up 😉

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, John said:

My equipment "tide" has been mostly outwards recently, to the point where my other half has become concerned that I'm going to pack the hobby in 🙄

I'm not (of course) but I am trying hard to discriminate between items that I use often and those which I'm basically storing. I don't run an astro equipment museum here so if it's not being used, I'm happy to move it on to somewhere where it will get used.

Plus it's nice to build up a decent balance in the astro budget for when something really interesting does crop up 😉

Completely agree, John. A lot of my purchases are planned on an upgrade basis so there's something going out as well as incoming. It also gives a sense of refining my setups rather than adding to an ever growing pile of equipment

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’m getting away with it due to favourable ratio of incoming to outgoing eyepieces

Yup , expecting delivery of one DeLite 18.2mm from Alan already talked to a friend in Romania that wants my Lacerta UWA 4mm. The missus did not engage the wooden spoon 😅  

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

All the decisions have been made, the last eyepiece to sell has been put up for sale and the new foam has been fitted. Here's my revised eyepiece case:

IMG_5839.thumb.jpeg.caed2d8d2cb0798d64f2dc152fef7392.jpeg

The shorter focal length will mainly be covered by the Leica zoom and Baader VIP Barlow. If I find myself missing having a fixed focal length in the shorter focal lengths...well....I have space :D 

The one mover in this was the TV Plossl 25mm which has now had a permanent home in my Solar Ha setup. I can, of course, call it up for nighttime use if I ever want to.

IMG_5840.thumb.jpeg.944deb0fa373c8ed5ef509078204f1b5.jpeg

I found the whole process surprisingly cathartic. I'm looking forward to spending some time with my slimmed down eyepiece collection to see how well it works out.

• Like 4