A pleasing result from a frustratingly brief imaging session

I’ve set up for no less than 4 imaging sessions already in August, but each was limited to different extents by unexpected cloud. In one case, thick cloud arrived after I’d spent an age carefully refining my wide field composition, and before I could take a single sub!

In another session, on 1 August, I managed just 3 x 12-minute subs, of the region from Cassiopeia to Cygnus, before cloud rolled in several hours earlier than forecast. I was going to delete the data, but during the rainy day yesterday I decided to stack and process the subs anyway. With some extra noise reduction, and having used Starnet++ to create a starless layer to process before recombining, the result is below. It’s not perfect, but I was delighted to see what can be done with such limited data. (3 x 4-minute ISO 1600 exposures at f/4. Astro-modified Canon 600D and Samyang 24mm f/1.4 lens piggybacked on a Celestron C8 telescope for tracking).

Regards, Mike.

Cassiopeia to Cygnus 24mm combined c-01-1.jpeg

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 11