Roll Off Pier/Mount Cover

I am moving home next year and with a very heavy heart will be selling for a song my 8x8 ft roll off roof [super] HOUK observatory that I love - if anyone is interested in it please PM me, it is immaculate (I will be putting up an ad in the next few weeks about this).   I do not have the room at my new place to be able to accommodate it and so looking at alternatives for some sort of semi-permanent and smaller solution where I can leave the mount polar aligned and have power and networking run out to the location in a weather proof fashion, but the "building" is much, much smaller - just covering the pier and mount and can just be rolled off as and when I need to use it.  I'd then mount telescopes/cameras etc.

Does anyone have any plans/ideas of a roll-off wooden cover for a permanent pier and mount like this please to protect if from the elements?  Preferably something that can be locked down to the ground when over the mount?  My soon-to-be-wife is very discerning about the look of such things in the garden and so I need to make it look "nice" !

I am sure I can cobble something together myself but I am after some ideas from the masters..... :)

FWIW I often wonder if the Keter storage containers could be adapted for telescopes.  They are built on all six sides, inc. floor, but are plastic which presumes some intelligent modifications are possible.  They come with a hinged lift up lid and we have a couple here for things like dustbins (they take 2 big wheely bins so  are sizeable.  Perhaps they wouldn't work for a permanent mount, but I often think they would be great for sitting a telescope in between uses.  Ours have never yet let the rain in and we have had them in the garden over ten years.  For their cost I always think they are damn useful things.   https://www.homebase.co.uk/keter-store-it-out-midi-outdoor-garden-storage-shed-880l-grey/14970266.html?switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&affil=thggps&affil=thgppc&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwq_G1BhCSARIsACc7NxoavEZZYJ5Q4h_IFSkbw1v9U5MKrhl6W7KP5KDNciswcAnfMkpwkuwaAh1BEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well worth a good search through this thread for sentry box type enclosures there are quite a few on here. Someone made a superb tardis which is on here somewhere. Others have the tg 365 cover over the pier and mount which works well. Just for food for thought, here is my diy jobby with quick release clips holding it down and power supply enclosure hidden behind the bush. I just remove two of the sides and just lift it out of the way. All the best.

Pillarbox.jpg.748cc841f3304f335fa8509e4b64dd4a.jpg

• Like 3