Dark Nebulae in Cygnus

Spongey

A deep view into an often overlooked portion of the milky way, this image has all main nebulae types in a single frame.

This was a very fun project, which started as a couple of subs per session at the end of imaging nights back in April. Scrolling around the framing assistant in NINA looking for something interesting to start after my last target had set, I stumbled across this region. I had a search online for images of the area and was surprised to see relatively few high quality renditions. The initial subs I got on those first few nights showed me what this region has to offer, and my course was set.

I hope you enjoy this collection of 13 LDN, 4 LBN, 2 SH2, and one NGC object as much as I do! There is also an interesting multi-coloured object (MHO958) near the centre of the frame, and a ring-shaped reflection nebula in the upper centre around star LkHA120, embedded in a dark cloud.

28hrs 19mins HaLRGB - Full details on Astrobin.

image.thumb.jpeg.34d092c72a69b6387468cad3385e2133.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 22

Impressive, don't think I've seem this before, which is surprising because like you say all types of nebulae are in one image. Nicely framed too.

I like how the stars have bee left in with quite an intensity but the emission details still come through nicely 👍 Are the stars reduced at all? 

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words :)

6 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Are the stars reduced at all?

The image was initially processed starless (which was quite a mess with so many stars in the frame!), and then recombined later with separate stretches on the nebula and stars. This allows one to have much finer control over how the stars are displayed in the image. As this area is looking deep into the milky way, I wanted the stars to come through quite bright and golden, but without taking over the entire image. So in short yes, they were reduced relative to the raw data, but I tried not to take away their presence too much.

• Like 2