Saturn, Jupiter and Mars (13/08/24)

Kon

I managed a session with Saturn, Jupiter and Mars this morning. Awful seeing despite no wind or jetstream; it was like imaging through a pool. I think we had similar issues last year with air fronts. Despite this I salvaged a few images. It is nice to have Jupiter and Mars back. Mars is looking tiny and all images are to scale below so it puts it into perspective. Ganymede just about shows some details. These are single captures as derotation did not really help. Skywatcher 300P Flextube Goto, asi462mc, ADC, 2.5xTV powermate and UV/IR cut. 

jupiter1.png.c746459e7b881d73d5a302124c81cae3.pngimage.png.08b871a23732d67d86556db4a9c50b05.pngimage.png.cb15351f78de215cb5c83cdd1df91dc5.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 26

Good to see you got something out of your morning under the stars. I've been holding off on Jupiter and Mars for now. No wind, no Jetstream yet still we struggle. Damned skies eh?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Good to see you got something out of your morning under the stars. I've been holding off on Jupiter and Mars for now. No wind, no Jetstream yet still we struggle. Damned skies eh?

Thanks Ian. I wanted to do some imaging before going on holidays again later this week. The planets looked pretty well at the eyepiece but I did not push the magnification too much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nice collection Kostas! You'll be rocking when the seeing is good.

Thanks Stuart. I am really enjoying the new telescope and tracking makes life so easy. We need a tool for good weather 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

That’s a really nice set Kostas, Mars jumps out, small but perfectly formed.

Thanks Craig. I agree Mars came out a lot better than I thought.

7 hours ago, Andy ES said:

Great images as usual! That goto scope will turn you soft though! 🤣😁

Thanks Andy. It's a great addition to the 8" (although it has not seen light since I got the 12" but the kids insist that the 8" is theirs now 🤣). The tracking is a game changer been able to add and adjust the ADC and do long captures. I still use it in manual mode for ISS so not completely automated yet 😜

Fabulous shots! I've been doing some prime focus and wide-field shots of the Jupiter/Mars conjunction. I'll revisit Saturn around opposition.

Thanks for sharing the great images!

Regards, Reggie

• Thanks 1