Star trails at Dalmaik church

With a perfectly clear night forcasted all night, I decided to capture some star trails at a lovely church ruin at a dark site near Aberdeen. The roofless church dates back to 1062, and when I first saw it 2 years ago I fell in love with it and knew I wanted to get married there. Sure enough, on 22nd August this year my fiance Eli and I will have our wedding ceremony here, come rain or shine. With all the planning for the wedding the church was on my mind and I felt it would be appropriate to get some nice night-time shots of it, with the bonus of putting them in for the summer competition!

I set up the camera and kit lens on a tripod and used a dew strip for the lens and a timer remote. I set the timer to do 30 second shots every minute, and left it from 11.30 until the batteries ran out, then picked up the camera in the morning.

I managed to get 3.5 hours of shots - 1.5gb in RAW format!

With so much data processing has taken many many hours and there are so many things to do with the data, so there are 4 versions here. There is also a time lapse video I will try to upload.

The images here only use the 145 (2.5 hours) frames during the darkest portion of the night. Aperture was set at f/4 (better quality images) and ISO 400. Camera used: Sony A-300 with 18-70mm kit lens.

I used the excellent free program Startrails to get the initial image, and Photoshop CS3 to get the variations. No processing or filtering, digital or physical, was used on the sky - it's all in the location!

I had to leave 30sec between shots to allow the chip to cool, but this meant gaps between the stars - quite an interesting effect. See a larger version for a better idea.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=406&g2_serialNumber=4

But to get the classic star trails effect, I had to select just the sky, put it on a new layer and make a well-executed radial blur (with the centre on the NCP which isn't even on the frame!!) to get the desired effect - quite a processing nightmare!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=407&g2_serialNumber=2

As the site is so dark, with no ambient light, the foreground was completely black, so I meant to use a torch to light up the church and trees, but the torch ran out of battery:mad:. So I went back to the RAWs and stretched out the detail. Amazing how much detail is in a RAW. Using a stack of 21 "pulled" images, I reduced the noise a bit. This had to then be blended in correctly with the stars - another processing nightmare!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=409&g2_serialNumber=2

Half-size images can be seen here:

Dotted stars with black foreground

Blurred stars with black foreground

Dotted stars with bright foreground

Blurred stars with bright foreground

And finally an artsy crop:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=410&g2_serialNumber=2

Hope you like!

Andrew

Andrew, they are superb.

The radial blur is a fantastic idea - and with the NCP not even in the FOV I bet that was fun.

I'm going to revist my images and try the radial blur.

The third one with the lighter forground is by far my favorite.

Can I be bold and mention "Summer competition".

Ant

Thanks for your comments Ant!

The radial blur is a fantastic idea - and with the NCP not even in the FOV I bet that was fun.

Yes it did take a few attempts.....

Can I be bold and mention "Summer competition".

Of course, but not after me!

With all the planning for the wedding the church was on my mind and I felt it would be appropriate to get some nice night-time shots of it, with the bonus of putting them in for the summer competition!

I need to do a little more work on the processing and then I'll put them in for the comp. I just couldn't wait any more to get them on the forum.

Andrew

How I like these Andrew. Unusual and simply splendid mate.

Of course they should be entered in the competition.

This session of work, and the results should go some way to alleviete the bad memory of the problems you had to put up with initially.

Ron.:)

Theft must be really low in Aberdeen if you can leave your camera out all night long not haveing to worry about it being stolen.

Excellent images Andrew.

Will be trying some startrails myself soon once I get a clear night after the failure attempts I had at SGL4.

Cheers

Neil

Beautiful images Andrew and well executed, 2nd one for me with the ruins in silhouette.

Notice you took the images with the Sony, with the Canon you just use need to lock the cable release "ON", set the camera to 30 sec continuous drive mode and leave till the battery runs out (lens in manual), you will have no problems with amp glow.

Brendan

Theft must be really low in Aberdeen if you can leave your camera out all night long not haveing to worry about it being stolen.

Actually it's as bad as anywhere else, but it's such a remote place that I'm highly doubtful a thief would ever pass that way at night, let alone visit the church and least of all prowl the graveyard with a torch and notice my camera there!!!

Beautiful images Andrew and well executed, 2nd one for me with the ruins in silhouette.

Notice you took the images with the Sony, with the Canon you just use need to lock the cable release "ON", set the camera to 30 sec continuous drive mode and leave till the battery runs out (lens in manual), you will have no problems with amp glow.

Hi Brendon and thanks. Yes, that sounds good, but I don't have my Canon as it's out for repair. BTW, I have the Canon remote now and will post it off to you tomorrow!

How I like these Andrew. Unusual and simply splendid mate.

Of course they should be entered in the competition.

This session of work, and the results should go some way to alleviete the bad memory of the problems you had to put up with initially.

Ron.:)

Thank you Ron. Yes, they do make me feel good, but as I STILL don't have the Canon back from repair, I had to make do with Sony's amp glow....

Andrew

Actually it's as bad as anywhere else, but it's such a remote place that I'm highly doubtful a thief would ever pass that way at night, let alone visit the church and least of all prowl the graveyard with a torch and notice my camera there!!!

Hi Brendon and thanks. Yes, that sounds good, but I don't have my Canon as it's out for repair. BTW, I have the Canon remote now and will post it off to you tomorrow!

Thank you Ron. Yes, they do make me feel good, but as I STILL don't have the Canon back from repair, I had to make do with Sony's amp glow....

Andrew

My apologies mate, I should have read you OP properly:o:o

Dopey Ron.

Super shot, that's got to be a POW contender. I really like the second one with the radial blur - the gaps are big, but you've sorted them out nicely. The foreground looks a little pushed, I think the black silhouette works just as well if not better. Good work!

Thank you for all your kind comments!:)

Here's a time-lapse video of all 3.5 hours until dawn approached and the camera ran out of battery:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N42ygjXYox8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N42ygjXYox8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

In case that doesn't work, watch it on you-tube:

Andrew

That's very nicely composed Andrew. My favourite is with the ruins in silhouette.

This is one of those times when a flash used in a long exposure might have worked really well, as discussed on that other thread, but I reall like the mystery surrounding the silhouette.

Cheers

Tim

Archived