A tiny Venus (11/08/24)

Kon

A quick session on Venus from this afternoon. This is my first Venus for 2024. I am looking forward to 2025 when it will be much larger. The seeing was awful and the IR filter did not help much. I did not attempt any UV. Skywatcher 300P Flextube goto, asi462mm, IR pass, 2.5xTV powermate. Resized 125%.

image.png.faa9a801065905a43e94bcb01340d8da.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, CraigT82 said:

Nice clear phase there Kostas, what is the apparent diameter at the moment? 

Thanks Craig. It is currently 95%.

Nice image despite the poor seeing Kostas. Venus is always hidden from my observing area unfortunately. I'm going to have another go on Saturn tonight i think.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Nice image despite the poor seeing Kostas. Venus is always hidden from my observing area unfortunately. I'm going to have another go on Saturn tonight i think.

Thanks Ian. I was thinking the same for tonight too, but I think seeing should be better on Tuesday morning, less windy.

Looking forward to what you get.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Ian. I was thinking the same for tonight too, but I think seeing should be better on Tuesday morning, less windy.

Looking forward to what you get.

I saw what you meant by less windy. It was just as bad here with Saturn bouncing around screen and sometimes off of it!. I persevered and captured a few shorter 60 second SER's due to this. I'll get around to processing them later and we'll see if PIP can do its thing.

33 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I saw what you meant by less windy. It was just as bad here with Saturn bouncing around screen and sometimes off of it!. I persevered and captured a few shorter 60 second SER's due to this. I'll get around to processing them later and we'll see if PIP can do its thing.

I didn't bother to get out in the end.

Yes PIPP should sort it. I hope your perseverance paid off.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kon said:

I didn't bother to get out in the end.

Yes PIPP should sort it. I hope your perseverance paid off.

I abandoned the processing after looking at the quality graphs in AS4. The constant bouncing around with the wind is definitely not conducive to planetary imaging, or any imaging in fact. I would have been better using the 180 Mak on my AZ-EQ6. If it's not the Jetstream it's the damned wind. Why do we even do this Kostas? 😂

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I abandoned the processing after looking at the quality graphs in AS4. The constant bouncing around with the wind is definitely not conducive to planetary imaging, or any imaging in fact. I would have been better using the 180 Mak on my AZ-EQ6. If it's not the Jetstream it's the damned wind. Why do we even do this Kostas? 😂

That sucks! I seriously don't know why we do it 🤣. I was up 230am this morning to be greeted by mushy planets. I will post them later.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Kon said:

That sucks! I seriously don't know why we do it 🤣. I was up 230am this morning to be greeted by mushy planets. I will post them later.

Although I don’t do this kind of imagining I know the answer, well, from my perspective. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. It’s fun because it’s not easy. Requires patience, takes a lot of time, work and effort - activities like this are often fun and rewarding. 

• Like 2

On 13/08/2024 at 09:37, Kon said:

Very depressing when this happens, unfortunately it is fairly regular occurrence