August 10, 2024: First go at Milky-Way imaging with Canon EOS M6 mk-II and Sigma 16 mm F/1.4

For some reason APT refused to talk properly to my Canon EOS M6 mk-II, so I was reduced to using the EOS utility, which limited me to 30s exposures if I wanted to use the interval timer as well. I mounted  the little camera with my Sigma 16mm F/1.4 lens on the iOptron HEM15, and managed to take a series of 42 30s exposures at F/1.4, ISO 400, of the area around the summer triangle. I stacked these with 20 flats, darks and bias frames in Astro Pixel Processor, removed gradients, and did some final cropping and rotating in GIMP.

Summer_Triangle-RGB-session_1-1-St.thumb.jpg.d1af3daa87548e45090885b4b0e78a43.jpg

Frankly, I am surprised at how this lens performs at full aperture. The stars aren't perfect, and I might want to revisit the gradient removal, but I think this will be a neat lens to capture the Perseids (fingers crossed for the next two nights).

• Like 11