SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Lunar Sketch

ashenlight

Hi all,

First off, sorry about the quality of the image - my scanner has packed up so I had to take a photo of this with a digicam - think that's why there's a blue hue in the top right shadow, that isn't there in real life, lol! I copied this from an image of the Moon in a book, couldn't tell you what crater it is. It's my first one, used alot of info from Talitha's Lunar Sketching Tutorial, particularly what pencil to use for what features. Took me about an hour all in all. Would love to know what you all think, good or bad! I didn't know where to stop really... could just keep going on and on.

8B for the deep shadows

4B for the medium shadows, blended with a stump to create lighter areas

3B for delicate shading and creases

2B for the outline

Picked out highlights with a putty rubber moulded to a point and stuck onto a hair pin!

Amanda

post-16040-13387737217_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou Ron :) it is hard work, harder than I had anticipated. Talitha's advice to start with some photos from internet/books is spot on, couldn't imagine doing this at the eyepiece just yet! It is surprising how much more detail you can see when you start sketching. The lunar landscape is stunning.

Well its looks like you know how to use a pencil. Its a really good sketch really like it.

I've thought in the past about doing some oil or acrylic paintings of the moon, just have't got round to it yet, too busy.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil, seeing it on the screen has really brought it to life. Would love to see oil/acrylic paintings of Moon, think it'd be an interesting medium to use. I've only managed to start the pencil sketching as a distraction from revision for uni exams :) Procrastinators unite, tomorrow!!

Amanda

Thanks Carol, means alot coming from you! It was much harder than I though, not having picked up a pencil to draw for years, it was a bit intimidating. I am sourcing my next victim now though lol! Thinking Atlas and Hercules. Thanks all :)

Amanda

Keith, this was my first go so I just copied it from a photo. Hopefully going to build on my skills and get to the eyepiece once I buy a stool to sit on! I am particularly pleased with the depth, took me a while to capture :)

Thanks so much Andrew, I'll be sure to keep you all posted once I get to the eyepiece :D

Amanda

Keith, this was my first go so I just copied it from a photo. Hopefully going to build on my skills and get to the eyepiece once I buy a stool to sit on! I am particularly pleased with the depth, took me a while to capture :)

Thanks so much Andrew, I'll be sure to keep you all posted once I get to the eyepiece :D

Amanda

I've got a bit of a soft spot for good sketching, but that's hardly surprising as many moons ago I submitted mainly colour pencil work for my "A" level Art. From my experience landscape sketching in the field it's quite a bit different from working from a photo - more interpretive - hope you've got a moon filter if you're going to be sketching luna at the scope.:)

Keith

I agree Keith, having studied art at school years ago I can certainly appreciate the difference between working in the field (or, indeed, at the eyepiece) and working from a photo. I'm looking forward to the challenge - the moon filter will come in handy.

Great sketch Amanda, you've managed to capture quite a range of contrast and depict the depth of the crater and the detail in the main crater walls. I can only imagine the patience needed to do this!:)

Sam

Wow, that really is fantastic for a first lunar sketch, and a great idea to practice from a book.

Can't wait to see your first results from a sketching session at the eyepiece.

You had a good idea there with the putty rubber to pull out the fine details. If you scour your art supply shop you might be able to get what I found recently - a rubber that looks exactly like a pencil - it can be sharpened to a fine point.

All the best with your sketching, it's bound to be successful as we can see from your first attempt. Please keep us up to date with your progress.

Nightjar

Thankyou Sam, Peter, Nightjar your comments are really encouraging :) Nightjar, heading to an art supply shop over the weekend as I have all but diminished my 8B and 7B pencils to a rather sad looking stump! Will look out for the rubber you mentioned, sounds really handy, particularly for getting those extra fine highlights.

Hi Amanda, that is one awesome first attempt, well done, and I am sure we will all look forward to further sketches as they come along, and BTW I am very pleased to see that Carol ( Talitha ) has joined the ranks of S and N so that we may all benefit from her expertise at sketching. You will be a very welcome addition to the magazine Carol.

John.

Amanda i cant wait to see your first "Live" sketch :)

I would love to be able to produce something of even half the quality but all my attempts look like somebody replaced my hands with boxing gloves.

Well done, girly!

Show 'em what you got! (...in terms of talent...)

You have inspired me to try out sketching the moon myself...I'm thinking a nice, rounded piece of Wensleydale with a smiley face and a green hat....

Seriously, though, that's a super piece of sketching.

Archived