Late Night On Saturn.

Out last night and early this morning to have a go at Saturn. I struggle to achieve good focus on my 10" Synscan dobsonian due to vibrations when zoomed in so much. I use an electric focuser when using my 180 Maksutov but i haven't as yet came up with something similar for my Steeltrack focuser on the dobsonian. Anyway this is the best i could come up with. Skywatcher 250 Synscan Dobsonian, ASI462MC, 3X ES Extender and a ZWO ADC. No derotation.

2024-08-07-0025_2-2024-08-07-0025_1-Capture_pipp_lapl4_ap38.png

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 20

Nice image Ian. Have you got a few captures to try derotation? I wonder how much of it is bad seeing than not being able to get focus due to the focuser.

I just got back from holidays but the weather is not looking good for the rest of the week to do any imaging before my next holiday.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Nice image Ian. Have you got a few captures to try derotation? I wonder how much of it is bad seeing than not being able to get focus due to the focuser.

I just got back from holidays but the weather is not looking good for the rest of the week to do any imaging before my next holiday.

Yes i have a few which i will de rotate and  have another play tomorrow. The weather does not look good for the remainder of the week unfortunately. When is your next holiday?

• Like 1

Very nice that , I've been wanting to image Saturn again but my seeing here has been atrocious for months so the thought of faffing about in the dark again waiting for the big Mak180Pro to cool down only to be greeted with another shimmering mess puts me off somewhat ... 😆

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Yes i have a few which i will de rotate and  have another play tomorrow. The weather does not look good for the remainder of the week unfortunately. When is your next holiday?

week on sunday and I will miss the moon/saturn occultation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

week on sunday and I will miss the moon/saturn occultation.

I'm not going to hold my breath for a clear night to image the occultation. I have it marked in my calender with a notification just in case.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Very nice that , I've been wanting to image Saturn again but my seeing here has been atrocious for months so the thought of faffing about in the dark again waiting for the big Mak180Pro to cool down only to be greeted with another shimmering mess puts me off somewhat ... 😆

Yes i know exactly what you mean. I put my 180 Mak out a good three hours before using it. It's got to be a proper clear night with several apps agreeing. The view through my uncooled Mak is an underwater experience for sure. When properly cooled though it's tack sharp.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Excellent image!

The rings are really flattening out!

Yes indeed, however I prefer more of a side on ring orientation.

8 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Yes indeed, however I prefer more of a side on ring orientation.

As do I, but more so I love seeing our incredible solar system and universe as it goes through its cycles.

• Like 1