Skywatcher Heritage 150p widefield low power eyepiece recommendation?

Thank you everyone for all the advice, great info on this thread. I'm going to get a 32mm Omni Plossl , I've seen a few on Ebay at good prices. Just missed one this morning at £18! Doh.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Naughty Neal said:

Another 32mm plossl not to be scoffed at is a Meade 4000, they can be had used for as liitle as £10.50.   

How does that British saying go?  "Cheap as chips" is it?

Since my ST80 has a 1.25" focuser, my 32mm GSO Plossl is my goto wide field eyepiece.  It's not perfect at the edges at f/5, but given all of that scope's chromatic aberrations, I don't normally notice it.

That 32mm Plossl is just about perfect in my 127 Mak at f/12.

18 hours ago, Louis D said:

How does that British saying go?  "Cheap as chips" is it?

Yep, as cheap as chips spot on.

Every now and then  a bargain appears on Ebay,  my 32m  plossl was actually £10.49 and to boot it was a Japan marked one.

They don't have to many followers today but imv they are still very decent EP's if one can buy them cheaply and one gets a good one.

• Like 1

I was in the same situation some years ago, when I had bought the smaller brother of the 150, the Heritage 130 P Flextube (also an f/5 scope). Instead of the widely recommended ES 24 mmf/68°, I chose the cheaper sibling, the ES 26 mmf/62° LER, and am very pleased with it. It's lighter (235 g vs. 370 g), very compact, and gives very clear images, sharp to about 80% - 85% of the field radius. Very good, when you need to wear eyeglasses. The view is really comfortable and relaxed, "natural", as with some of the older Zeiss binoculars. You get almost the same true Field of View, as with the 24/68. No blackouts/kidney beaning. Have a look:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-62-series-ler-eyepieces.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

I was in the same situation some years ago, when I had bought the smaller brother of the 150, the Heritage 130 P Flextube (also an f/5 scope). Instead of the widely recommended ES 24 mmf/68°, I chose the cheaper sibling, the ES 26 mmf/62° LER, and am very pleased with it. It's lighter (235 g vs. 370 g), very compact, and gives very clear images, sharp to about 80% - 85% of the field radius. Very good, when you need to wear eyeglasses. The view is really comfortable and relaxed, "natural", as with some of the older Zeiss binoculars. You get almost the same true Field of View, as with the 24/68. No blackouts/kidney beaning. Have a look:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-62-series-ler-eyepieces.

Stephan

That's interesting, thanks for posting it, searches I made in the past found very few user reviews of any ES eyepieces narrower (and cheaper !) than the 68 degrees ones.

Heather

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

That's interesting, thanks for posting it, searches I made in the past found very few user reviews of any ES eyepieces narrower (and cheaper !) than the 68 degrees ones.

Here's an older comparison; the remarks of russell23 are rather congruent with my impressions

.https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/592703-es-62-26mm-vs-panoptic-24mm/

• Thanks 1