Cannot view from my back yard anymore.

40 minutes ago, RobertI said:

That’s depressing, really feel for you. It’s not easy being an astronomer when you’re surrounded by people who are terrified of the dark. Would a portable light screen help? You’ve probably already considered them but it’s this kind of thing - https://www.astromag.co.uk/screen.html

I did build one for the lamp but it was not portable, I had to put it up high to block the light had to take it down after each session and it wasnt that good, I will have to see if I can make two but the one for the street light is going to be tricky.

20171023_182347.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Have you asked for the streetlight to be shielded Paul? I had one shining over our back garden and requested a shield. They fitted one within about a week and it made a big difference.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have you asked for the streetlight to be shielded Paul? I had one shining over our back garden and requested a shield. They fitted one within about a week and it made a big difference.

I have This is what they put on

lamp.jpg

4 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have This is what they put on

lamp.jpg

I take it that doesn’t help? Have you gone back to them?

Just now, happy-kat said:

When my nearest one had a shield fitted it was a slatted design fitted inside the lamp head

Same here. Seems quite effective

Just now, Stu said:

I take it that doesn’t help? Have you gone back to them?

I did a fella came out and said he would sort it out as he had just transferred from another council where he had instigated dark skies.

He said he would get a proper shield put in place I am still waiting. 

16 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I did a fella came out and said he would sort it out as he had just transferred from another council where he had instigated dark skies.

He said he would get a proper shield put in place I am still waiting. 

I would give them a chase up Paul

• Like 1

Mine wasn't that bad and was able to sort it. A bit Heath Robinson but it works.

DSC_0343_DxO1024.jpg.cca821272da8e084e3b69ee5ecc50d1e.jpgDSC_0348_DxO1024.jpg.8d991d17c08cb22aad8af9433b550fb6.jpg

Next door neighbour to the left has an insecurity light which comes on at all hours (plus annoying barking dog), but thankfully their house is a couple of feet lower than mine and so it is below the fence line.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stu said:

i've just requested that myself, hopefully they will put the shields on

• Like 2

Here's what the security light does. If I were the neighbours opposite I'd be complaining about it illuminating bedrooms like a searchlight.

The light in my garden is from the living room light...

DSC_0372_DxO1200.jpg.d8299d63e5adbe8613387f8e7174907d.jpgIMG_0930_DxO.jpg.f1f10adc350bce0085e489970d15e48a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear how everyone seems to be having this problem. 

I'm just waiting for my new neighbor's to come on line!

20240721_155239.thumb.jpg.f9dc54f427903d8b93667f2b2579ebae.jpg

I've seen that the lights at another fire station 12 miles away do not extend below the frame work.

But from the posts, I'll have five in view of my little observatory.  That's not to mention those on the building itself. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Here's what the security light does. If I were the neighbours opposite I'd be complaining about it illuminating bedrooms like a searchlight.

The light in my garden is from the living room light...

DSC_0372_DxO1200.jpg.d8299d63e5adbe8613387f8e7174907d.jpgIMG_0930_DxO.jpg.f1f10adc350bce0085e489970d15e48a.jpg

I could live with that if it was the same. I have just sent the council another complaint so see what happens. 

Got a reply from local light company, they said we be around in the next few says with light shields for the two lamppost.

was really quick in reply and sorting it out. hopefully it will do the trick.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, seven_legs said:

Got a reply from local light company, they said we be around in the next few says with light shields for the two lamppost.

was really quick in reply and sorting it out. hopefully it will do the trick.

People here (including me) seem to have been quite successful in getting action taken about intrusive lighting. It's a pity that more councils don't take care when selecting the new lighting in the first place.

• Like 3

I've a couple of LED street lights in close vicinity of my back garden, but luckily I can position the scope in such a way that one is blocked by my house, and the other by next doors shed, although it would be useless for visual observing as it's much too close to the house. 

Might have to try getting in touch with the council about them though, seems people have been quite successful in getting the shields fitted! 

• Like 1

The council, lighting company came round to put light shields on the lights yesterday.  Can't see what they have added but, its done the trick.

Can't believe how quick it took. To be honest didn't think this council would do anything, it makes a nice change and the whole process was hassle free.

Recommend everyone to email the council. 

• Like 5

My neighbor directly behind me leaves her bright, unshielded back porch light on continuously, day and night.  I swear, if I ever saw someone suspicious lurking in her backyard, I'd probably just wave hello to them rather than alert her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have noticed a couple of flood lights come on in the night from neighbouring gardens presumably activated by wildlife.  They don't stay on for too long and hopefully the fence shields them.  I have only notice this when going to the bathroom on non astro nights and the bathroom is upstairs.  As i have to image in narrowband anyway being Bortle 8, I hope that it won't affect the imaging.

My neighbour accross the street put a light high up on her house guttering fascia board, it was activating every couple of minutes with no intrusion into their drive way.  It shone right down my driveway into my back garden.  It was actually disturbing me going off to sleep as I could even see it coming on even with my eyes [removed word] it was that bright.  took a video of it, to show them it going on and off when no-one was nearby.  Luckily they disconnected it.  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Hello, the little city--suburbof San Francisco, where I live does not have street lights, but a much bigger city not too far, lights up the sky.
Light filters if they exist do not help from what I am reading?
So that is why I live in Bortle 5, 30 years ago I could see the milky way, now I can't even see Polaris?
No I am not moving!

• Sad 2