Incoming ... !

Monstrous sunspot just appearing round the limb on the latest SDO image , weather forecast means little hope of seeing it here today but hopefully some of you will get a view ... 😉

incoming1200.jpg.d9a0fb75ad07c5dda7b32d56e1e45fc3.jpg

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Have the mice been at the cheese again? That really is a whopper! [Technical term.]

Nice image BTW. :thumbsup:

It's the SDO Continuum data not mine ... 😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Stu said:

That does look huge!! Cloudy here but fingers crossed for later in the week. Aurora perhaps?

Doesn't look quite so huge in the video I quickly knocked up in Helioviewer but very impressive nevertheless , the SDO processing on the Continuum data they present as a quick look has always presented things way too dark IMHO , the black is clipped to destroy and detail right on the limb or in the umbra of sunspots. I tweaked things somewhat to show what I could above , the original showed a mere hint of something there.

As for aurora , as you well know that's firmly in the lap of the gods , not something we can predict until it's almost upon us .

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

It's the SDO Continuum data not mine ... 😉

I wondered why it wasn't up to your usual standard. 😉

• Haha 1

The Big Spot looks much less dramatic now it has cleared the limb.

My attempts to take a picture with my phone handheld to my LS60MT were a farce. :blush:

• Like 1