ZWO ASI Camera Reliability

I asked you guys for advice on dedicated DSO cameras, and I got some great info! Thank you for that...

Now I am going to buy a ZWO ASI camera, probably the 183MC Pro Cooled.  I was looking at new as they are on offer at present, but then I started to think about the used market...

This has lead me to pose this question - are they reliable and is it worth getting a used one, or am I better off with a new one with a 2 year warranty?

Edited by Spad

I acquired my used ASI533MC Pro at just shy of £250 below list price off ebay; it was advertised as 'having had little use''. l had no way of verifying that of course - it would be useful if these devices recorded the number of hours they are used in the same way you can see the shutter count on a DSLR. I decided to take the risk. However having the 2 year warranty, especially if you buy from a retailer like FLO counts for much.

It would be impossible to say if a given item is reliable or not - even new ones can fail.  Comes down to whether or not you want the safety net of a warranty. Keep in mind with items like this how can you tell if it's reliable or not even if you have it in your hand?

In short 'Caveat Emptor' when buying used.

Chris

Edited by CheshireChris
Clarity & Typo
  • Thanks 1

I can't comment on the particular model but I have got all my planetary zwo cameras second hand without any issues. Asi120mc, Asi462mc, asi462mm. Quite a bit of saving over a new one.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Off the top of my head I think I've owned or have had near 10 (?!?), other than the odd planetary ones, which ive bought new, never had a problem. You'll save a tonne.  But as advised you'll never know if/when one will go no matter the manufacturer, also unlike dslr bodies they're designed (cooled ones anyway) to vent out heat and they don't have mechanical parts other than the fan which is easily replaced, the peltier unit is likely easily replaced too as are the dessicant tablets.

Buy the seller, a good seller won't waffle about it's use, also I'd avoid ones which have their anodising colour changed as they've likely been used for solar or subject to having been left outside, also avoid ones with dents, a careful owner wouldn't dare drop one.