Starbase Tokyo July 2024 - Takahashi heaven!

I’m on a three week trip around Japan, and spent the last few days in Tokyo. A visit to Starbase has been on my bucket list for quite some time now so yesterday was The Big Day and I got the subway to Akihabara to visit.

It’s very easy to find from the subway station using Google maps, and there were several staff members who spoke English. The Director, Ryuichi Hashimoto, was also there and we had a good chat about astronomy in Europe and our opinions of Takahashi telescopes. The staff were all keen astronomers, and one had recently been to a star party in Australia which sounded amazing. I picked up a Takahashi soft case for my refractor as well as some accessory bags, catalogues and other bits and pieces. 

The Takahashi scopes for domestic sale are not packaged in multiple boxes like the ones shipped internationally, so the boxes looked much smaller than those I have received my scopes in. They had a fantastic range of Vixen, Takahashi and other brands of scopes and kit on display - I am not sure if I photographed it all but I took as many photos as I could for those who are interested!

IMG_1700.thumb.jpeg.5f39774798208d5e2f25b519042c7c87.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1010.jpeg

IMG_1009.jpeg

IMG_1024.jpeg

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Yes Jeremy, all of them! They were on the same side of the display as the Vixens, and I’m kicking myself all day that I forgot to take a photo. Two of the staff had Mewlons and they were happy to hear I had one too.

The Takahashi accessory bags were really cool. I got two. I’ll send on a photo once I can sort out my luggage 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, globular said:

Caged in to stop them worrying the refractors?

Looks like a lovely place to spend a few hours :thumbright:

The Mewlons and Epsilons gave up nothing to the refractors! I had never seen an Epsilon before but they were super. It was hard to take it all in to be honest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

The Mewlons and Epsilons gave up nothing to the refractors! I had never seen an Epsilon before but they were super. It was hard to take it all in to be honest.

The only thing that puts me off Epsilons is the colour 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

Great photos, thanks for sharing 👍
I would have to leave my credit card behind before going there 🤣

Thanks. I’ll look after it David.

• Haha 3

I looked at your post when it first went up Nicola and didn't comment.
Not because I was failing to be impressed, but because I went to look for my passport and check my bank balance.
Thankful that the Passport is OK, sad that the bank will not support a short trip to Tokyo, let alone the funds to purchase some shop goodies.

I hope you have and are enjoying Japan, somewhere I would very much like to visit one day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for posting, what a place to visit. This has to have a place in the top 10 best posts that ever there was on SGL!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Not because I was failing to be impressed, but because I went to look for my passport and check my bank balance.
Thankful that the Passport is OK, sad that the bank will not support a short trip to Tokyo, let alone the funds to purchase some shop goodies.

I hope you have and are enjoying Japan, somewhere I would very much like to visit one day.

Just think of it this way, Alan: the more you buy, the more you save!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

What a place! What’s the soft case like? Never seen a Takahashi one didn’t even know they did them

Here’s a photo of the Tak soft case. I love it - it seems like great quality and very well padded. I have wanted one for a while but can’t seem to get one in Europe or the US. I also got two accessory bags and some magazines and catalogues. 

IMG_1140.jpeg

IMG_1139.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Alan White said:

I can’t recommend Japan enough as a destination (aside from the astronomy!). This is my third visit and I was lucky enough to come as part of a work trip and tagged some holiday time on at the end. I am in Kanazawa now which I have never been to before and it’s incredibly beautiful. There is a samurai district with original samurai houses open to visitors, and entertainment districts with beautiful streets and original wooden buildings. If I may post a couple of non-Astro photos, here is a photo of a samurai house and one of the tea district.

Best of luck, if you do come, with your bank balance in the astronomy shops! It’s all incredibly tempting.

IMG_1069.jpeg

1A2A7743.jpeg

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I can’t recommend Japan enough as a destination

Agreed, a fabulous place to visit with a very different culture.

I did pass on the Sushi though 😱

• Thanks 1

Very interesting post Nicola, thanks for posting😊..

I have a niece who is doing Japanese studies at Uni and is in Japan right now, doing an internship with a large company. It sounds a fascinating country to be sure, and a very difficult language to master!

My wife and I have recently enjoyed watching the drama series 'Tokyo Vice' on BBC iPlayer, a gripping story of the Yakuza gangs and a young American Journalist's investigations working with a local Japanese Detective (played by Ken Watanabe) to bring down a very evil gang leader.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, and safe return home.👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

For those that can’t get to Tokyo and enjoy the same experience as Nicola, this might be the next best thing: https://www.takahashijapan.com/ct-products/new-catalog/202401_Catalog_web.pdf

You terrible peddler of such wonderful items you.....

But you missed the Vixen catalogues off, tut, tut Mr S!
https://global.vixen.co.jp/en/webcatalog/

• Haha 3