Telescope for 12 year old

2 hours ago, Elp said:

A different suggestion at a higher price (but still small compared to comparable equipment) would be a ZWO Seestar or Dwarflabs Dwarf (nearly V3 very soon).

I didn’t mention that as I thought that they wanted to do lunar and planetary. Also had the impression that they wanted to look through an eyepiece etc. 

Of course it depends on the individual and often people don’t actually know what they want until they’ve had some sort of experience.

Not my view, but in my case something like a SeeStar would be in the bin/sold very quickly. Alice refers to astrophotography as “those fake pictures” 😃.

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

In my case something like a SeeStar would be in the bin/sold very quickly. Alice refers to astrophotography as “those fake pictures” 😃

True, some people won't like it. You could say the same for all Hubble/JWST images, they're all manipulated to make them look more interesting.

• Like 1

Many years ago an ex-work colleague asked me the same thing. The only differences were: he had a six year old son and lived in a two or three bed terrace house with a small back garden in West London.

I originally suggested binoculars, small refractor, dobsonian or catadioptric.

After a few weeks discussing and researching the pros & cons of all options, price, etc., dad decides to bite the bullet and purchases a Sky-Watcher 200p classic dobsonian, plus a few accessories via FLO.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Elp said:

A different suggestion at a higher price (but still small compared to comparable equipment) would be a ZWO Seestar or Dwarflabs Dwarf (nearly V3 very soon).

Can't do solar system at long FL, but you'll "see" far far more with it, and be able to share the results with others (usually a prerequisite with the younger gen). Simple plonk down and go operation too, no added accessories etc. Can also use for daytime stuff.

I suggested it but not within their budget.