Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'v decidedon a C11

I'm 50 in a few week's time and have decided to treat my self.(First & last big spend on astro gear)

C11-SGT on a CG5 mount £2750, is the mount beefy enough do you think?

CPC11 GPS fork monted £3295 sale price looks very nice. (CPC8 had a nice first light report) But will I have to upgrade the clutch & gears in a short period of time?

CGE11 £3790 Looks the biz but is it worth the exta grand over the sgt.

I'v got four and a half grand to play with and i'd realy like to get extra's as well.

Hope some of you can coment please.:)

Mick.G.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

The C11 is a bit too big for the CG5 mount. The mount will carry this OTA but it's a bit shaky. Visual only.

The CPC series has excellent internal parts with metal gears, no need to worry about it, very reliable. You're probably thinking of Meade, a lot of their fork mounted SCTs had plastic gears etc and did need upgrading, although the latest ones are better.

The CGE-11 is a bargain at that price as the mount is worth that on it's own, and it is built to handle a C14 never mind a much lighter C11. It is being replaced by the new CGE-PRO mount hence the bargain price on the CGE. If you can go for this you won't regret it. Much, much heavier duty than the HEQ6, in a different class entirely. Definitely falls into the bargain of the year category.

John

you have not mentioned if the set up with be for observing or imaging ?

for observing i would have the heq6 pro version with the c11 ota because the heq6 is more than capable of carrying a c11

if it was for imaging as well as observing i would go for the CGE version, i know it seems a lot more but its worth every penny and that is a bargain price. Just the periodic error on the CGE will make all the difference to imaging let alone how good the goto and tracking is, I will second john on this and also add that your mount is your most important astronomical purchase because everything else you do hinges on your mount so get the best mount you can and then your astronomy will not stall in the years to come. You will also save money in the long run as i am sure most of us will admit to buying pleanty of mistakes along the sharp learning curve that is astronomy. I am on mount number 6 now and started of with an eq3 lol. I wish i had asked this question when i 1st started out and it would have saved me time, hassle and money

i hope my ramblimg helps :):D

If you can do it go for the CGE every time. Yes the HEQ6 is a good mount and cheaper but the CGE is built like a brick khazi and can take loads of weight. I have loaded the CGE with C11 and a 102ED side by side with no problems before now.

BTW C11 is a good choice too

Only caveat with the C11 is the mirror flop, which can be a bit of a pain (it's just one of those things with the 11), but, it usually ony means a quick retweak on collimation near to the target object.

Great light buckets. If you do get the EQ6 option, you will need an extra counterweight to balance it up...the two on the standard EQ6 (plus the small bar) don't quite balance her up.

Thank's for your comment's folks, alot to think about!

I did have a look at the complete set up, but unfortunately the sale of our holliday home is takeing a little longer to complete than first thought, at least two more weeks.

Due to your encouraging comment's I think it will be the CGE, I'm now trying to find the nearest dealer to have a look in the flesh so to speak.

Roll on 12th June!

Thank's again, Mick.G.:)

plus the EQ6 has the nice option of using EQMOD...

CGE has Nexremote, I run mine using a wireless logitech gamepad direct from my laptop, no hand control or wires, cool or what?

CGE... hmm

If I were going to spend £4500, I would get a second hand C11 OTA (mine was £1000, fan cooled, and now tweaked to a gnats of it's life for collimation and focus), a second hand G11/Gemini rig (£1500), and slap a nice TMB 80/480 on top.. (£1000 s/h), and then spend £1000 on a guide camera, micro laptop, Televue barlows etc, DMK21AU04.AS etc to run the whole show..

But that's just me.....what do I know?

If I found myself with a sizeable sum of cash to spend, I'd go down Nick H's route.

A bit like buying a new car, no sooner is it bought than it's lost a lot of it value. Nearly new is just as good. There's shed loads of top quality 2nd hand goods available out there and Nick's plan's a good 'un... but that 's just me too.

Karlo

Well, my route is okay, save one point...and it's a key point

The more we go down the second hand route, the less people who do support our industry very very well, will be able to make a living. I went s/h for the OTA in my case, as I was simply not prepared to chuck £2300 at someone who gave me zero support in the past, and zero support after I bought the thing even when I offered to PAY to get the mirror flop fixed (no names mentioned). The mount, I bought new, from one of the people I trust (like FLO..) to support me if things do go wrong, and the person concerndd has...(again no names mentioned).. supported me very well

That's the only caveat with second hand...

Use em or lose em :-(

I'll second the last post particularly in respect to mounts where there's lots to go wrong and good support and backup count for a lot. I do buy stuff second hand as well but it tends to be items that won't breakdown such as eyepieces etc.

If you bought a complex and expensive item such as the CGE from FLO and did run into problems you know that it would definitely get sorted out.

John

Thank's again folks.

I'm going down the second hand rout for the OTA (I'll be keeping an eye on Steve's for sale post, very good price.)

Rita, my partner,has told me that the mount should be new with warrenty. So the eq6 pro is top contender. (good second thought there NickH):D

That's going to leave a lot of change. I'm not to sure about imaging as yet as I have neaver tried it, wouldn't want to spend a great deal on it in case I can't master it.:)

Roll on June, Mick.G.

Thank's for your comment's folks, alot to think about!

I did have a look at the complete set up, but unfortunately the sale of our holliday home is takeing a little longer to complete than first thought, at least two more weeks.

Due to your encouraging comment's I think it will be the CGE, I'm now trying to find the nearest dealer to have a look in the flesh so to speak.

Roll on 12th June!

Thank's again, Mick.G.:)

Have a look here for local shops:

Telescope Shops - Google Maps

The more we go down the second hand route, the less people who do support our industry very very well, will be able to make a living.
I disagree with this statement. If everyone bought new, I don't think that there would be as many sales of new equipment. Why? because people would be unable to upgrade, or only upgrade very slowly and it's the enthusiast who drive the sales in the shops....

Archived