Tips on videoing T Cor Bor Nova ASIAIR plus with ASI482MC camera and Meade F10 16" OTA

Hi,

I have been studying workflows to video with ASIAIR Plus and they are centered around moon and planet of relatively fixed brightness.

However, I want to record the famous recurrent nova T Cor Bor. I could review the video each morning to see If I captured event.

The issue I have is that the dim star will get very bright by say 10 magnitudes.  I am worried the image will be spoilt because of the change in brightness will overexpose the captured images.

Does anyone know whether my simple plan will work - or is there a way to make it work successfully.

Danny from Australia.

TBH it would be better to use a smaller instrument with a wide field of view, particularly if you want to estimate magnitudes when it flares up. I have been imaging T Cr B every few days with my Seestar S50. The field includes several stars of similar brightness so it should be obvious when it flares up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

TBH it would be better to use a smaller instrument with a wide field of view, particularly if you want to estimate magnitudes when it flares up. I have been imaging T Cr B every few days with my Seestar S50. The field includes several stars of similar brightness so it should be obvious when it flares up. 

Thank you for an alternative scenario - perhaps I should have mentioned I will use my Origin as well for the wide field stuff.  But I am taking multi frame per second video here 4064mm FL - Planetary scenario,

Cheers 

Danny

The star ranges from mag 10 at dimmest to mag 2 at brightest (according to Wikipedia), although it would be more likely to outburst not quite that bright it’s worth testing the extreme of what could happen, and so I’d recommend you find two stars of similar brightness and altitude to the target star and video them both separately to see if they can both be captured with mutual acceptable capture settings. 

The 482 has a nice deep well count so should be a good camera for the task.

Not familiar with the ASIair so can’t help you with that sorry.

Edited by CraigT82

On 30/07/2024 at 01:10, dannymcshane1 said:

But I am taking multi frame per second video here 4064mm FL - Planetary scenario,

Can you see T and alpha CrB from where you are now ?
If no then do as  @CraigT82  said.
If yes : have you tried videoing T at multiframe per second. It is currently being boring at about m10 (or m10.5 depending which ref stars chosen)
then swing over to alpha and see if you need to AOT your aperture/gain/etc
(or viceversa, set alpha to just below saturation then see if T is still detectable !)

I am not sure multi-frame video is the way to go for its outburst, I think I would experiment with time lapse  of a few f/s or f/m on a variable of choice with suitable magnitude range.
However, for its current state, you could experiment with videoing its mini (micro?) fluctuations which seem to be (depending who is reporting) typically +/- m0.1,  sometimes +/-m0.5

The most simple answer is " nobody knows" ! A statistical sample of just a couple of intervals, one dimming and a few differing estimates of max mag do not make for good sigma.  < I am trying to provoke the novaGods into an angry response ! :)  > 

Edited by MalcolmP
speelins
  • Like 1

If I am using my Seestar S50 or my Dwarf II, I have been having a quick peek at T CrB. The Dwarf has the wider FOV, and I can usually get epsilon CrB in the same stacked image. THis may not be the case later in the year.

TCrB-stacked_20240714001141601(annotated).thumb.jpg.19ed76672689317748a993df8e4fdeb3.jpg

At the moment, we have more daylight hours, and the night hours are not cloud-free. Whatever the capture method, it will be a challenge to spot the build-up.

Geoff

• Like 1

Considering no one really know when it'll happen you'd be better off running an autorun or a plan imaging session, exposures can be set to whatever you like within reason and just leave it running. I assume you'd be using an equatorial tracking mount.