Heart of the Cygnus at 40mm

It took me a few months to decide which sensor my Sigma 40mm Art would work with, but in the end, it turned out to be the 2600MC and I think it will be a long relationship. This required stopping down the aperture to F/2.0, but it's still a very fast setup. The following work is a test of how the APS-C will cover a centre of the Cygnus and its surroundings. Due to the high LP it was necessary to work with L-eXtreme and IDAS LPS-P2. I'm going to play around with mosaics with this set but under darker, less restricted skies.

The Heart of the Cygnus in a wider perspective - 2024.07.17-07.27 - HOO

Sigma 40mm F/1.4 Art @ F2.0, Optolong 2" L-eXtreme, ASI 2600MC-Pro @ EQ5 OnStep mod;
almost 4.5h: 87 x 180s Ha+OIII, Bin1, Gain 101, Offset 50, -10°C;
3 x 60 x 30s for stars;
ASIair Plus v.1, PixInsight;
Liverpool, Bortle 9(+).

https://www.astrobin.com/nvt739/

HeartOfTheCygnus_1_Combined_Resampled.thumb.jpg.d95a7e3a9acdbb18720b82b1273a9fc2.jpg

HeartOfTheCygnus_2_Starless_Cropped_Resampled.thumb.jpg.1c55cc06c88f9418142762074a83e228.jpg

HeartOfTheCygnus_3_Combined_Resampled_Annotated.thumb.jpg.d358171a575c738e211f4cc703bda4e9.jpg

• Like 21

Thank you. ☺️

I'm not sure if I understood. Sigma 40mm is a photo lens equipped with a typically adjusted diaphragm, in this case with 9 blades.

Posted (edited)

Thanks. No, nothing like that appears around F/2.0. I know what you mean, I have a quite nice Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F/3.5 lens which gives very funny spikes, which I like. :) 

image.png.988c1dac1e46a11ac10d9f8a7a78fb83.png

Edited by Vroobel

Lenses generally spike around after F4/5.6/8 but it depends on the lens. The more difficult thing is finding ones which don't star distort around the edges which is quite rare.

• Like 1

That's an excellent image, I do like widefield shots like this where you can see various objects in perspective.

• Thanks 1