Squid nebula clearly visible with 4 hours bortle 6 and AI enhancment

fml :( must admit i was hoping for a hint of it. need to stop looking at astrobin pics of the day ;( 

Waste of 5 hours so I'm blaming 50% moon for no squid, or anything else of note 

image.jpeg.21d07718f3570b5c8d6267728a65542c.jpeg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Haha 14

Love the drawing,  Yes the Squid is something that has eluded me too.  I can get part of it, but nothing like those fabulous images done in Pristine dark locations with load and loads of hours.  

the Oiii is VERY faint and needs hours and hours of data.

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, carastro said:

Love the drawing,  Yes the Squid is something that has eluded me too.  I can get part of it, but npthing like those fabulous images done in Pristine dark locations with load and loads of hours.  

the Oiii is VERY faint and needs hours and hours of data.

I wasn't expecting much just a hint :(

recent astrobin pin of the day I saw is to blame. Quite amazing.

I found it a very challenging target and spent a lot of time on it.

O111 only with CCD cam - I might have a go with the cmos cam at some stage.

over a couple maybe 3  years IIRC   34 1/2 hours (many others discarded subs as well)

bQ9l5V_iC4Xw_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

and with some Ha and a reprocess

1i5tesgjKojG_16536x0_JXczOqwr.jpg

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

I found it a very challenging target and spent a lot of time on it.

O111 only with CCD cam - I might have a go with the cmos cam at some stage.

over a couple maybe 3  years IIRC   34 1/2 hours (many others discarded subs as well)

bQ9l5V_iC4Xw_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

and with some Ha and a reprocess

1i5tesgjKojG_16536x0_JXczOqwr.jpg

Really nice image.

Seems I was at least pointed at the right place:)

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

You need at least a dual-narrowband Ha & OIII filter, maybe the dark sky as well. 

Yeah I wasn't expecting much and it lived up to those expectations:)

• Haha 1

Maybe more of a damp squib ;)

It's always fun experimenting but can knock you back when nothing "appears". Haven't tried this target, by the sounds of it I'll leave it for another year.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Elp said:

Maybe more of a damp squib ;)

It's always fun experimenting but can knock you back when nothing "appears". Haven't tried this target, by the sounds of it I'll leave it for another year.

Honestly I was expecting to fail, but I was expecting a passable image of the gas clouds. Just got drabness.

Mistakes are good learning experiences :)

As this thread may become a repository for "barely there" squid images,  I can make a contribution. 70 x 3 mins from November 2021 with a RASA8/QHY268c/NBZ filter from my Bortle 5/6 location. I was going to image it again  last night but found that when aligned with the object my guide scope was looking at the inside of the dome...

Image03v3squidcrop.thumb.jpg.efa090e61b9f7c2ab53ac11a8cea461c.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Mistakes are good learning experiences

This = one of the greatest learning routes. Too many people ask for "what best equipment to achieve X," or whatever, in this hobby I find you learn more from hands on and working through and overcoming any issues.

I sometimes image very low down targets not expecting much of anything due to LP, but I've surprised myself sometimes even though signal can be very very weak against the LP.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Elp said:

This = one of the greatest learning routes. Too many people ask for "what best equipment to achieve X," or whatever, in this hobby I find you learn more from hands on and working through and overcoming any issues.

I sometimes image very low down targets not expecting much of anything due to LP, but I've surprised myself sometimes even though signal can be very very weak against the LP.

So I you're saying I should go for omega nebula tonight then? Ok I will ;)

I put a pic of what I can see if the milky way in another thread. I think I can see lower down than I thought I could.

But just because I can, doesn't mean I should :(

I have had to stretch the pants of the O3 on this one. 8.5 hours of O3 from B2 sky with a 12" F3.8 newt. Still needs more signal on the O3......

Squid_v2.jpg

Edited by Clarkey
Duff image
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

I have had to stretch the pants of the O3 on this one. 8.5 hours of O3 from B2 sky with a 12" F3.8 newt. Still needs more signal on the O3......

Squid_v2.jpg

Pretty much has everything, 3d dust clouds even squid exhaust :)

fantastic pic. My own 4 hours means I'm halfway there ;)

25 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Pretty much has everything, 3d dust clouds even squid exhaust

I don't think there is any dust - just blue channel noise. I really need a few more hours of O3.

I will reprocess it to see if I can get a better result, but needs more time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

I don't think there is any dust - just blue channel noise. I really need a few more hours of O3.

I will reprocess it to see if I can get a better result, but needs more time.

by 3d dust clouds, i mean the wave looking structures in red (Ha i assume). I think if they look 3 dimensional, it makes the composition. yours look really 3 dimensional.

who knew i could see omega nebula in a 3 sec sub btw? 

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

3 hours ago, tomato said:

As this thread may become a repository for "barely there" squid images,  I can make a contribution. 70 x 3 mins from November 2021 with a RASA8/QHY268c/NBZ filter from my Bortle 5/6 location. I was going to image it again  last night but found that when aligned with the object my guide scope was looking at the inside of the dome...

Image03v3squidcrop.thumb.jpg.efa090e61b9f7c2ab53ac11a8cea461c.jpg

Nice, especially 70x3 minutes isn’t a lot compared to some images you see with hours upon hours. Might give this one a shot.

• Thanks 1

On 28/07/2024 at 20:23, Clarkey said:

O3 on this one.

That's a fantastic result Clarkey.  Great variation in signal and with a longer focal length too.  Very nice!

On 28/07/2024 at 20:23, Clarkey said:

B2 ... 12" F3.8

For anyone wondering about the ingredients - Clarkey's processing skill aside, these are certainly two - skies and speed.  A great combo.

On 28/07/2024 at 19:52, tomato said:

I can make a contribution. 70 x 3 mins from November 2021 with a RASA8/QHY268c/NBZ

That looks great too Steve.  Just 70x3 but it's coming through clearly against the Ha.  A great RASA object :) 

• Like 1

Well as everyone else is posting their failures, here are mine:

This is mine from Bortle 4 after 6 1/2 hours:

spacer.png

I

then stretched it and stretched it until I produced this ugly result:

This was back in 2017 BTW

spacer.png

I then tried it with my Samyang 135 mm lens in Bortle 4.

9 hours 10 minutes of which I took the following in Oiii:

Oiii 2 x 20mins, 2 x 30mins, and 7 x 15mins 3 x 900secs binned x 2 (total 4 hours 10 mins)
Plus a further 3 hours on another night.

Total Oiii 7hours 10mins and still this is all I got and that was after heavy strecthing of Oiii:

spacer.png

I have now given up on the Squid 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, carastro said:

Well as everyone else is posting their failures, here are mine:

This is mine from Bortle 4 after 6 1/2 hours:

spacer.png

I

then stretched it and stretched it until I produced this ugly result:

This was back in 2017 BTW

spacer.png

I then tried it with my Samyang 135 mm lens in Bortle 4.

9 hours 10 minutes of which I took the following in Oiii:

Oiii 2 x 20mins, 2 x 30mins, and 7 x 15mins 3 x 900secs binned x 2 (total 4 hours 10 mins)
Plus a further 3 hours on another night.

Total Oiii 7hours 10mins and still this is all I got and that was after heavy strecthing of Oiii:

spacer.png

I have now given up on the Squid 

nice images and i like seeing the progression, ty.

• Like 1

125 minutes of OIII, Samyang 135 + 183MM camera @ ~F2.8.  Mix of B4 and B6 skies.

image.thumb.png.b23f5a0b51793878e7b1d1b730e941a4.png

A single 300s sub:

image.thumb.png.cf2804b13506bd75682c08f0a80d10e5.png

@Adreneline I always thought we got more for this mosaic pane back in 2021?  This was all I could find in my archive!  Perhaps it needs revisiting :) 

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

@Adreneline I always thought we got more for this mosaic pane back in 2021?  This was all I could find in my archive!  Perhaps it needs revisiting :) 

Um? I seem to recall getting 60x300s of OIII one (amazing) night to add to the stuff we already had. I need to look back to remind myself - a few grey cells have gone amiss since November 2021 🥴

We did this combined project before Xsuite processes came along, not to mention other amazing and helpful PI processes and scripts - definitely worth a revisit of the data I would say.

• Like 1