The best M13

Globulars are notoriously difficult to get right, and what is right anyway? Such a high dynamic range and so easy to over process trying to bring out the fainter halo stars, or to overegg the colour.

M13 was my favourite target when I was imaging a couple of years back and now I want to have another go at it so I'm looking for inspiration- if you've got a favourite M13, yours or one you've seen, please post a link.

And any tips for handling them in processing?

Here's one of the nicest I have found:

Sara Wager (who used to post on here) https://www.swagastro.com/m13-the-great-globular-cluster.html I like the subtle colours and lack of too much over-processing and the core isn't too blown out. She used the same sensor as I am so there's hope... though I think she was an expert at imaging which I am not. I'd like to see more separation of this tight bright orange triplet of stars and I like to see subtle colour differences between the 4 stars in this string too. The framing is really nice and the background galaxies beautiful.

SaraWagnerM13details.jpg.bb1212472871a3ae909a53fe89dbabad.jpg

Thanks!

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 900SL said:

1 hr integration too...

Remarkable. Even putting aside the technical achievement I think that just has to be one of the most beautiful of astro subjects. This particular image has to be an exemplar surely. 

Jim 

• Like 1