M13 wide or crop?

It’s been a really poor season, there is no real darkness up here 54° north, surely it’s not too much to ask to get an hour and a half of clear skies in 24 hours when we get nautical darkness?  
Anyway, there were some clear skies in March and I was testing a new automatic focus system I had built for my 12” Meade sct, I thought M13 would be a good test as it’s quite unforgiving 

I did end up throwing away quite a few subs, whilst working things out and only ended up with around 27min per channel RGB only 

It’s not gonna win any prizes but I’m split between the full wide field image with more background stars and IC4617 visible or a cropped close up of M13? 
I know there’s no up or down in space, but I do apologise if this image has the wrong orientation and causes any distress 😔

Wide field 

74FCD1D7-A4F5-4F2D-9E32-56645CA0B186.thumb.jpeg.bc3b07c40c96ff196895f61b0c34258a.jpeg

crop

B0FCCA19-D783-4A9D-8C3A-4FD3784941DA.thumb.jpeg.98c162229957321d042956d1c31b7caf.jpeg

Thanks for looking 

Bryan 😊

Tiff wide field 

M13-April-24-v3.tiff

Edited by assouptro
Extra text
  • Like 20

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

I prefer the wide field view as for me it provides context. Is the close up a different image or a crop of the wide field?

Thank you for your comment happy!
It is the same image, but…. I have so many versions, I may have processed it slightly differently? 😖

I edit on my laptop, then save to OneDrive, open on my phone and convert to a more forum friendly format with PSExpress so they may be processed slightly differently! 
I’ll have to retrace my steps! 
But in essence, the answer to your question is yes 😊

Thanks again 

Bryan 

If that's the case, it suggests the full version on the wide field would have the ability for the viewer to zoom in several times revealing more stars like the crop. Super image. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If that's the case, it suggests the full version on the wide field would have the ability for the viewer to zoom in several times revealing more stars like the crop. Super image. 

Yeah, I’ll add the tiff so it can be seen at full resolution should anyone want to 

Thanks again 😊

That is a very nice globular image, very sharp and good star colours with easy to see differences in star types.

I prefer the wider field, more breathing room around the target to provide some background.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

That is a very nice globular image, very sharp and good star colours with easy to see differences in star types.

I prefer the wider field, more breathing room around the target to provide some background.

Thank you for the comment Onikkinen

I appreciate, and understand your perspective, it is good to see it in context 😊

15 minutes ago, Roy Foreman said:

Can't decide, I like both for different reasons, and both are excellent.

Thanks Roy 

It looks like the wide field has more likes than the closeup 

M13 was one of the first deep space objects I saw through the eyepiece when I bought my first “goto” 12” light bucket and I’ve always had a soft spot for it as it was breathtaking to see in real life! 
Because of that view, I am drawn to the closeup but I also love to see it in context! 

Thanks again for the comment 

Bryan 😊

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I like both but the wide view does show the full extent of the cluster. Excellent image whatever version you choose.

Thanks Spock! 
I appreciate the input 

I suppose it depends what you do with the image? 
If I was to print it, I’d probably go with the wide field but as a screensaver the closeup has more impact? 

Thanks again for taking the time to comment 

Bryan 😊

Just now, Xilman said:

Wide, undoubtedly. The zoomed version doesn't show the whole cluster.

Thanks for the comment Xilman

you are correct! 
there are loads of stars around the periphery, I could possibly mask the core and try to bring them out a bit more? 
I may have a go at reprocessing? 
I didn’t remove the stars during the process like I might with a nebula, I tried to keep it all together throughout the process as I find re-adding stars can give them a slightly synthetic appearance (probably down to my lack of skill) 

Thanks again 

Bryan 😊