Small compact binoculars.

I have a set of Helios 8 x 16 compact binoculars. They are very convenient when out and about or on holidays. They fit easily in pocket. Using them watching ships and wildlife while visiting Brownsea Island last Summer. But I would like to upgrade to a set that would improve on the brightness of the view. Thinking of 8 x 20 or 8 x 25.

I'm hoping that while these have a larger object glass over the 8 x 16's, they would still be small and convenient. Pocket size is the term that I'm looking for.

Does anyone own a set of compact binoculars  any recommendations?

Thanks

I have the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and cannot fault them (except for the fact they do not come with lens caps). Not cheap but excellent in terms of quality.

IMG_20240305_213200.thumb.jpg.a53271da9e7c660a6be2dc28ef4c6226.jpg

IMG_20240305_213220.thumb.jpg.08877c1ae37114b68d0170a333cab4e7.jpg

The lens cap problem can be fixed with some Opticron ones at the front

IMG_20240309_193026.thumb.jpg.68067fd44fef156b9dd3b4a828ccf110.jpg

and some Vixen ones on the EPs

IMG_20240311_205927.thumb.jpg.dee9c9479653ee408ba337883b2ff272.jpg

They do come with a little carrying pouch, but I prefer the lens caps

• Thanks 1

Leica Trinovid 8x20 you can't top these :hello2:, bright and v sharp views in a very compact design, downside a bit pricey but will last forever 😊

IMG_8876.JPG

Edited by Debo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love our pair of Pentax Papilio bins. We have the 8.5x20, our daughter has the 6.5x version.

I'm not an expert on high end glass, but am very satisfied with these. 

The outstanding feature is that they focus down to 0.5 metres (genuinely), so you can watch an insect that's sitting on your knee. Also great at infinity.

Not quite as accomplished, another pair I find useful (because you can be thinking "which pocket did I put them in?") is my Pentax UCF 8x21 pair that I picked up from an Oxfam shop for £20.

I love the portability of the UCF, but the Papilio are quite unique. 

ETA photo

reduced_1000008958.jpg

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One  of the most compact 8x32 binoculars regardless of price is the Opticron 8x32 Discovery.  They come out very well in reviews and focus down to 1.5 metres/5 feet.  You could get binoculars with ED glass to get better colour correction, but you'd need to pay more than the £148 that FLO charge.

By the way everyone's face shape, especially eye sockets are different.  So I can't stress enough to try before you buy,  Ideally, that means going into a shop, failing which buy from somewhere like FLO who have a first-rate returns policy.

I bought these myself but exchanged them for the 8x42 model.  These are much heavier, but perversely I could hold them steadier, presumably because of the extra inertia.  The 8x42s are a lot bulkier though.

Here are some links, including to a very comprehensive review:

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Opticron8x32DiscoveryWPPC-159.htm

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/opticron-discovery-wp-pc-8x32-binoculars.html

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Thanks 1

I got a pair of Opticron Taiga 8x25's from a charity shop a few years ago for £5.99 !!!

They normally retail at around £100 and seem to deliver very good optical performance, are rugged and compact. They travel everywhere with us 🙂

I also have a pair of the Swarovski 8x30 porro prism "Habicht" binoculars which are superb but the Opticron Taiga's are very nearly as good.

This is a stock photo of the Opticron Taiga's:

174_2_695x695.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have the Leica Ultravid 10x25, now eye-wateringly expensive. They are excellent but come with a warning: don't assume that their light weight makes holding a 10x binocular easier. I find that it doesn't and may do the opposite. A heavier instrument at 10x may work as an anvil to soak up tremors.  I'm now in my seventies and would rather prefer an 8x, I think.

The high contrast of the Leicas does work on the sky and I've seen M27 in the small Ultravids. (My go-to astro bins are Leica 8x42 Trinovids.)

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/07/2024 at 05:11, DaveL59 said:

The pair I tend to carry when wandering about are:

https://imaging.nikon.com/sport-optics/lineup/binoculars/elegant/mikron_x15/

image.png.fef89f5794411755f9050c2e2813eff7.png

Tiny and nice to use, for me, and you don't notice they're there in your pocket 🙂 

~

I don't see where this model is being imported to the USA. 

Any UK dealers have them on hand?

13 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

I don't see where this model is being imported to the USA. 

Any UK dealers have them on hand?

Nikon UK or Eur and some photographic places (Wex) look to list them, ordered in rather than in stock, not cheap at £429 tho. I was lucky enough to snag my hardly used pair off the bay-of-E for £60 IIRC a couple years back. Means I don't risk the much older Mikron's and gain the benefit of modern multi-coated lenses 🙂 

• Like 1

I picked up some Kenko 10x32 waterproof binoculars from a camera shop in Chester in a closing down sale about 5 years ago. They were only £99 and the optics are excellent.

PXL_20240713_122116851_MP2.thumb.jpg.c0c882e96442d5dba3b34d150061d75b.jpg

Edited by iantaylor2uk
Forgot photo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I settled for Pentax Papilio 6.5 x 21. I love that they are really comfortable to use with the lower 6.5 x magnification.

FLO were great helping me with my choice. I did decide on a monocular. I tried the Opticron 32 mm & 42 mm. But they did not suit me. So I am grateful to FLO & all of your advice.

They are really quirky. I like that.

20240718_160043.jpg

Edited by Grump Martian
Added content
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/07/2024 at 22:51, ollypenrice said:

I have the Leica Ultravid 10x25, now eye-wateringly expensive. They are excellent but come with a warning: don't assume that their light weight makes holding a 10x binocular easier. I find that it doesn't and may do the opposite. A heavier instrument at 10x may work as an anvil to soak up tremors.  I'm now in my seventies and would rather prefer an 8x, I think.

The high contrast of the Leicas does work on the sky and I've seen M27 in the small Ultravids. (My go-to astro bins are Leica 8x42 Trinovids.)

Olly

I should have let you look through the little Zeiss 8x25 bins. They sound like just the thing you are looking for (slightly less eye-wateringly expensive too).

I remember looking through the 8x42 Trinovid you had years ago. Brilliant piece of astro kit. I was worried for a moment I would no longer appreciate the views through my Helios Apollo 15x70 after looking through the Leica, but the sheer aperture compensated for the slightly lower image quality.

On 18/07/2024 at 17:08, Grump Martian said:

Well I settled for Pentax Papilio 6.5 x 21. I love that they are really comfortable to use with the lower 6.5 x magnification.

FLO were great helping me with my choice. I did decide on a monocular. I tried the Opticron 32 mm & 42 mm. But they did not suit me. So I am grateful to FLO & all of your advice.

They are really quirky. I like that.

20240718_160043.jpg

Neat looking little pair of bins. Pentax makes some amazing optics.

• Like 1