I just couldn't let it lie!

Just now, Elp said:

I'd plan for contingencies and buy a boat or plane instead, better skies will be more in reach

You could just buy a house in a sensible place. Having spent the first fifty years of my life lashed to a rock in the north Atlantic I finally did so!

:grin:lly

• Like 4

I must say that for me a car is enough that it has four wheels, the brake and the steeering-wheel; BUT for a scope it is very different!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You could just buy a house in a sensible place. Having spent the first fifty years of my life lashed to a rock in the north Atlantic I finally did so!

Yea but how come you ended up in France Olly :);) 🤪 

Jim 

Edited by saac

I look forward to the day that I can give up the car/ Not anti car far from it, I'm all for personal transport, but you get to a stage where you just can't be bothered with the hassle of it.  Mind you, I do like my little MGB, that's special :) 

I was in TISO the other day buying some new hill walking boots and the electric bikes caught my eye. Some were £9K plus - Crickey. Thinking about buying a canoe !

Jim 

19 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Another one here who's scope is worth more than his car........😯

And unlike the scope i use the car most days.

Second to the comment from @Gonariu

I like to run cars that double in value when the fuel tank is filled.
Provided they start and are safe that is important thing.
There are too many opportunities for others to wreck your car. ranging from vandals scratching paint, to supermarket car park rash to full on accident or theft.
Scopes are much easier to look after, they don't degrade as much as cars and risk of expensive damage is much lower.
Cars are though useful to carry scopes to dark places.😁

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

I like to run cars that double in value when the fuel tank is filled.
Provided they start and are safe that is important thing.
There are too many opportunities for others to wreck your car. ranging from vandals scratching paint, to supermarket car park rash to full on accident or theft.
Scopes are much easier to look after, they don't degrade as much as cars and risk of expensive damage is much lower.
Cars are though useful to carry scopes to dark places.😁

I rationally agree with what you say. I must say that I have always cared very little about cars, I got my license at 35 because I needed it to go and teach and 21 years ago I came to live in Orotelli in central Sardinia because there were more teaching positions available, but my interest in cars largely ends here! Before, living in Cagliari which is the largest city in Sardinia (take the "large" in an elastic sense, as inhabitants Cagliari would be a neighborhood of London...), between city buses and going on foot I managed quite a bit. As a car I currently have a FIAT Panda which is fine for my needs, then there are those who like large cars, as in everything "de gustibus".
P. S.: regarding the telescope, when I was a boy in my father's car there was always room for my Konus Hydra 60/700 which I brought here to Orotelli in August when my father took holidays and from Cagliari we went up the whole family.

5 hours ago, saac said:

Yea but how come you ended up in France Olly :);) 🤪 

Jim 

:grin: Because it's a sensible place for an astronomer to live! Lots of clear nights, minimal light pollution, a reasonable altitude, a minimum of 4 hours astronomical darkness in summer, no neighbours and 190 square metres of floor space for less than the price of a 2 up, 2 down terrace in Matlock. Plus a car every 20 minutes on local roads. I'd say it was perfect for your MGB but some of the hills are quite steep. 👹👹👹

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

:grin: Because it's a sensible place for an astronomer to live! Lots of clear nights, minimal light pollution, a reasonable altitude, a minimum of 4 hours astronomical darkness in summer, no neighbours and 190 square metres of floor space for less than the price of a 2 up, 2 down terrace in Matlock. Plus a car every 20 minutes on local roads. I'd say it was perfect for your MGB but some of the hills are quite steep. 👹👹👹

Oh she's definitely not a hill climber.

Jim

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Um! Can I live with you?

• Haha 2