I just couldn't let it lie!

After selling all my kit on this site over the past few weeks having had it in the loft for some years, the act of handling it again started the juices going and instead of buying myself a smart scope some time in the future, I have just bought a StarAdventurer GTI mount, guiding scope and camera, asiair mini and a few other bits and pieces just to use my Nikon D7500 and Rokinon 135mm F2 that I still had lurking. 

My name's Adrian, and I'm a buying astro stuff addict!

😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 19

Think a lot of us can relate... but instead of a clear out it's usually accumulate enough to open our own bazaar.

• Haha 4

Tell me about it.  My happiness at you getting back into the hobby was completely overwhelmed by the annoyance that I missed your clear out 😂 and I don't actually think I need anything.

Maybe we should all just swap bits periodically?  Just to get it out of our system.  Given my past firm it'll either not fit, sit on the shelf doing nothing because of the weather or (most likely) be pretty good, but if I spend another £100 on this bit, it'll be perfect and I absolutely will not need anything else ever again... Honest.  No, not even if bosun21 has just posted in the for sale section... Oh I'll just have a quick look...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm pleased that you are still "in the astro game" - it's hard to get it out of your system completely once the bug has bitten 🙄

I've been changing a few things lately. My intention was to downscale my astro equipment collection but I seem to have ended up achieving just the opposite 🤨

• Like 3

I made the mistake of keeping a record of what I've spent on astronomy gear since I started in 2020 and it turns out that my car is worth less!!!

Over the last few months I've made a resolution to use what I have and not buy anything more. I already have some new cast spiders still to fit to my Newtonians and some bolts and washers to buy for that job but then that's it. There are still loads of things I've been meaning to try with the kit I already have, and I think the Summer break has got me itching to do both visual and EAA. I've even unfollowed the SGL buy / sell thread and the FLO discount thread!!

So no more talk of another camera or that lusting over bigger aperture refractors.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Please tell me, who uses retail therapy? 😏

I promised to myself to not buy cams, scopes, mounts etc. anymore. What about EAF, Pegasus dew heater bands controller, another Arca-Swiss L-bracket or clamp? Do they count? Oh, I forgot, I just got two new lenses... 😭

😂

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

For those of us who are afflicted by this pernicious malady, and I count myself firmly within these sorrowful ranks, do not, under any circumstances, or for any reason, whatsoever, enter the kingdom of AliExpress. It is a haven of irresistible temptation amplified to the most extreme degree by low prices subsidized by the Devil himself. The markets of Sodom and Gomorrah pale in comparison to this bazar of desire. Beware my friends and take heed. DO NOT GO THERE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Hairycamel said:

After selling all my kit on this site over the past few weeks having had it in the loft for some years, the act of handling it again started the juices going and instead of buying myself a smart scope some time in the future, I have just bought a StarAdventurer GTI mount, guiding scope and camera, asiair mini and a few other bits and pieces just to use my Nikon D7500 and Rokinon 135mm F2 that I still had lurking. 

My name's Adrian, and I'm a buying astro stuff addict!

😁

I understand you very well, I have been passionate about astronomy since I was 7 years old (I'm almost 57 now), then my father showed me photographs of nebulae & galaxies. Through ups and downs the passion still lasts!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Maybe we should all just swap bits periodically?  Just to get it out of our system.  Given my past firm it'll either not fit, sit on the shelf doing nothing because of the weather or (most likely) be pretty good, but if I spend another £100 on this bit, it'll be perfect and I absolutely will not need anything else ever again... Honest.  No, not even if bosun21 has just posted in the for sale section... Oh I'll just have a quick look...

I think like this too, when I bought the Maksutov 90/1250 last year I strictly told myself to stop; this lasted until the end of June, I bought the Vixen Polaris 90 L lens at a very tempting price......

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I think sites like flo should be banned 🤣.

I've got 2 scopes,  one mount and nothing in the fridge.

Edited by seven_legs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

54 minutes ago, Jim L said:

For those of us who are afflicted by this pernicious malady, and I count myself firmly within these sorrowful ranks, do not, under any circumstances, or for any reason, whatsoever, enter the kingdom of AliExpress. It is a haven of irresistible temptation amplified to the most extreme degree by low prices subsidized by the Devil himself. The markets of Sodom and Gomorrah pale in comparison to this bazar of desire. Beware my friends and take heed. DO NOT GO THERE!

oooh I've never looked at AliExpress and now you've tempted me.....................

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

I made the mistake of keeping a record of what I've spent on astronomy gear since I started in 2020 and it turns out that my car is worth less!!!

Over the last few months I've made a resolution to use what I have and not buy anything more. I already have some new cast spiders still to fit to my Newtonians and some bolts and washers to buy for that job but then that's it. There are still loads of things I've been meaning to try with the kit I already have, and I think the Summer break has got me itching to do both visual and EAA. I've even unfollowed the SGL buy / sell thread and the FLO discount thread!!

So no more talk of another camera or that lusting over bigger aperture refractors.

Another one here who's scope is worth more than his car........😯

And unlike the scope i use the car most days.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Another one here who's scope is worth more than his car........😯

And unlike the scope i use the car most days.

I haven't got a car but if I did I'd probably sell it and buy another scope.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

A car works in the rain, clouds have no effect, they work in the day and night too.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

This is a terrible thing to discover!  The only way out of it is to buy an incredibly expensive car.

:grin:lly

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1