Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

suitable mount for Orion ED80

crepitis

Ive just received delivery of an Orion ED80 refractor (via E-Bay) and I was wondering if any of you

have experience of this scope and , if so, which mount you would reccomend.

I am pondering getting an Alt-Az mount but im not sure about balancing the whole setup.

I am familiar with EQ mounts and operating them isnt a problem, but the weight ( thinking "Grab'N'Go) is !

Anyhow...would anyone reccomend an Alt-az over an EQ ?

And if so, Why?

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob,

I've put my ED80 on an AZ3, the mount takes the scope OK (no more than that though), I reckon a EQ2 would be better and not that much heavier. I suppose how much value you put by the "grab 'n' go" aspect of the setup, the AZ is lighter/easier to setup but not being able to track using only the RA axis is a bit of a pain....

Gaz

An alt-az mount is useless for photography, but may be actually better for looking at stuf that you don't need to track. I always have difficulty getting my EQ mount pointed at stuff in the circumpolar regions. I considered getting an AZ3 mount for my small reflector, for that reason.

The AZ3 is handy as a grab and go, I use it on a 120 f5 frac, great for star hopping, and grabbing quick views.

Against as WH says is no use for time exposure photography, and as Gaz puts it, a pain to try tracking.

I find for wide field, if you don't mind the stars drifting slowly out of view, it's great, I use mags of around 20 to 30X. At higher mags. say 120X, the planets race across the field, and can be fun for short views. I have had some good views of Jupiter last night at 60 & 120X with the AZ3.

The only real mechincal problems, are that both drives have a limited travel, so you have to reset them every now and then through out the session.

As for balance, not a problem, its not really needed, and the rings spacing will decide where it goes for you.

naz :lol:

The only real mechincal problems, are that both drives have a limited travel, so you have to reset them every now and then through out the session.

It can be a real "heh?" moment when that happens if you arn't concentrating.

Thanks for the replies, Guys.

I fished out an old EQ2 type mount, (from a Lidl Skylux scope) that I had lying around,

and its a real pain in the a** trying to get the whole thing set up.

The Dovetail plate that came with the scope wont fit on the mount, and if I

connect the scope to the plate that came with the Lidl scope it feels far

too flimsy to use.

Im veering towards an Alt-az mount now, but its a case of keeping my eyes

glued to the "for sale" astro sites.

Cheers, Bob.

Bob,

Yep the plate does feel flimsy but you can buy a decent one that fits the Astro 3 (lidl mount) from Telescope Service in Germany. Costs €19. Here's a link:

http://www.telescope-service.de/mounts/start/mountsstart.html

scroll down to the astro 3 and where it lists a price for the mount you'll see a replacement dovetail.

Regards

Russ

Well , the alt-az solution bit the dust.

I've just bought an eq4 mount with dual drives from E-Bay (£72, + £20 delivery),

I reckon that this mount will be sturdy enough, though not exactly "grab'n'go"!

It may however allow me to foray into imaging with the ED80 in the future, although

thats going to involve more money and more time....ah well.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help guys.

Cheers, Bob.

Cheers gaz, I could hardly believe it myself, as the time ticked down and no

other bids appeared!

Still, I dont have it in hand yet, but the seller has good feedback, so fingers crossed,

I should have it sometime this week.

Typicall that tonight is clear and fine here, but as soon as the mount arrives that

should put an end to clear skies. :lol:

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Captain, according to the E-Bay invoice postage is included at £22.85 via Parcelforce 48.

Not counting my chickens until I actually get my hands on it, but Im looking forward to getting the ED80

mounted on it and actually getting to use the scope!

Nothing more frustrating than having a new toy and not being able to use it.

I dont really know a great deal about this mount, as it seems that no-one actually sells an "EQ-4" mount anymore.

I gather its very similiar to the Celestron CG5 mount, but I could be wrong.

It will be the first time Ive had drives on a mount, so Im looking forward to trying that out.

It doesnt obviously fall into the "grab'n'go" cattegory, but I can always pick up a ligher Alt-Az mount at a later date,at least thats the theory! :lol:

Cheers, Bob.

I've always thought that the EQ4 was the same as the EQ5! A bit like saying Snickers or Marathon :)

Ant

Personally, I feel its more of an "Opal Fruits/Starburst" thing myself, but I could be wrong. :lol:

Cheers, Bob.

Archived