Wooden equatorial platform

Chriske

A long time ago I saw something similar.I kept working on it and came up with this solution to track the stars with a Dob.
I added a tracking system based on a few cardan couplings and a thick threaded rod.
In the thick wooden beams I added a few rods @51°(polar axis), both in the vertical as well in the horizontal beams. All will be supported by ball bearings.
These bearings are all sitting in a printed blocks.
Tracking is done with a small motor and two bevel gears.
Running time of the unit is about 90minutes.

Next week I'll start building one.

image.png.d41435c41eb90a3faa258f88ee9b2c7d.png

image.png.053fcc80295b9e1dc00b1d0c9969bf90.png

image.png.93092e8e6680e524db8c41fe74f12234.png

• Like 5

Just now, Dr_Ju_ju said:

My one suggestion would be to cross-grain the timbers to reduce the amount of wooden flex in differing temperatures etc....

👍

Not yet started building.
A few changes have been applied, has to do with the tracking speed.
Instead of bevel gears I'll be using a Worm/wormwheel set.

A few more changes.
The two red axis are both fixed.  They will be connected by a GT2 belt or maybe a set of gears don't know yet.
The cycloidal drive has a reduction of 15x
For quick adjusting the polaraxis I'll add a green laser parallel to the upper polar threaded rod.

image.png.67884d7c8434b9f2056333f986d829d2.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say it is easier to build than the typical EQ platform design with segments (all made of plywood without aluminum segments - I have built 4 of them). This looks simple but the top portion with the rods is quite a precision work that I wouldn't be able to do with a simple jigsaw in my garage like I do the segments. Also not sure I can source that motor and transmission on AliExpress :)

But I would say that for lower latitudes this could maybe be a better option. It would be interesting to see one for 33 degrees where the classic design struggles. 

Either way , looking forward to see this complete. Great project.

Edited by AstralFields
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention. In the most upper (printed) part there's room for a laserpointer to align the unit to the north.
In that part the hole for the major (M16) bolt and the hole for the laser are printed in one piece, so I can set it up very accurately.
The laser is adjusted in a lathe.