SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eye piece size?

Hey everyone,

I've been surfing ebay (mainly for astronomy stuff) and I notice that there are different sizes of eye pieces. How do I know what size mine takes? The manual doesn't say.

I was also wondering if its worth it to buy a converter?

Thanks in advance.

Hello "Driftwood"

What make is your telescope?

Most modern commercially available scopes take 1.25 inch eyepieces (This is the standard size that is widely available). Your scope may have a focuser fitted which has a part that can be removed to allow the scope to take 2 inch eyepieces.

Regards,

philsail1

Ah!

I've just looked at an advert for it here:-

http://www.galileosplace.com/Telescopes/Reflector_Telescopes/FS-85MOHDX.html

It's a 80mm Newtonian Reflector with a tube length of 800mm.

It advertises the scope as having a "multiple" 1/14" eyepiece holder which can take up to three eyepieces.

The advert says the scope comes with a 6.8mm to 16mm Zoom eyepeice, with a field of view of 42 degrees. Also a 20mm eyepiece with a 52 degree field of view, and a 3x Barlow.

So the scope does take the standard 1.25" eyepieces.

Your scope has a Main Mirror diameter of 80mm. This will cope with a maximum magnification of about 160x.

Magnification os worked out by allowing 50x per inch of aperture (mirror diameter).

Your scope has an 80mm (3 1/4" inches).

To get the magnification a particular eyepiece will give can be calculated by dividing the scopes focal length by the focal length of the eyepiece.

Your scope has a focal length of 800mm, so 10mm eyepiece will give you a magnification of 80x (80 times). If you have a 3x Barlow, it will triple that magnification to 240x. This the theoretical maximum for your scope, and would only be useable on the clearest of nights.

A 20mm eyepiece would give you 40x (800 divided by 20 = 40). Fit the 3x Barlow

and you would get a magnification of 120x, which again is a very high magnification for that size of scope.

A 30mm eyepiece would give a magnification of 26.5x. The 3x Barlow would raise this to 53x.

When you say your are wondering whether it's worth buying a converter, do you mean something to allow you to fit 2 inch eyepieces?

If you do, then you would need to check if your scope would allow you to fit one. Looking at the information I saw on the internet, it does not look like your scope will allow you to fit a converter.

I don't know what eyepieces you have with your scope, but I would tend to stick with say one eypiece of 10mm (for use on Moon and Planets - but only under the clearest of conditions!). An eyepiece of 20mm, again to give you good views of Moon and the likes of Jupiter and Saturn. I would have an eyepiece of 30mm to give you "low powered" and wide field views of the stars.

I hope this helps

Regards,

philsail1

Archived