Zwo585mc-Peltier cooler

I picked up a small peltier cooler off of Amazon just to see if it made a difference to the 585mc uncooled camera £17 so not a big loss if it doesn’t, initial testing in the house gave a reading of approximately 10degrees below ambient temp , initially the sensor was reading 28 degrees after ten minutes using 120sec exposures temperature was reading 18 degrees , hopefully in a few months the clouds may part to test 🤦‍♂️ cooler runs off 5v 2A usb power and very quite .IMG_4863.jpeg.a4773e6ba52eb5a87e649daca5540752.jpeg

• Like 2

Decent result. I tried similar with my 224 months ago but didn't feel like progressing with it much, mainly due to I image with uncooled cameras already for DSO and have been doing so for years, the need for cooling isn't really required as it's quite cold outside most of the time anyway. The other issue is if the sensor doesn't have direct conducting contact with the camera body cooling effect can also be minimal but you've seen a decent result.

How did you mount the peltier, did you just stick it on the back under the heatsink?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elp said:

Decent result. I tried similar with my 224 months ago but didn't feel like progressing with it much, mainly due to I image with uncooled cameras already for DSO and have been doing so for years, the need for cooling isn't really required as it's quite cold outside most of the time anyway. The other issue is if the sensor doesn't have direct conducting contact with the camera body cooling effect can also be minimal but you've seen a decent result.

How did you mount the peltier, did you just stick it on the back under the heatsink?

The cooler came with a very thin 3M sticky pad and it seems solid , bit like he pad that holds a rear mirror on a car windscreen , the 585 does give a clean image  uncooled so if it cools the camera a bit then that will help and for minimal outlay , hopefully I can test in the next few weeks rather than in a warm living room .

Edited by bottletopburly

That's a nice all in one unit, I had to get the parts separately.

Some people also got good results with a Black Shark phone cooler.

I'm finding the time to actually use kit is getting longer and longer between sessions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

That's a nice all in one unit, I had to get the parts separately.

Some people also got good results with a Black Shark phone cooler.

I'm finding the time to actually use kit is getting longer and longer between sessions.

Yes I was looking at the the camera coolers when I spotted the peltier cooler , it must be 4 months since I’ve been out .

It helps the cooling efficiency if you use thermally conductive cement to attach the cooler but it doesn’t come off easily and could invalidate your camera warranty if it had to be returned. That said, your 3M sticky pad might be optimised for the cooler application.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomato said:

It helps the cooling efficiency if you use thermally conductive cement to attach the cooler but it doesn’t come off easily and could invalidate your camera warranty if it had to be returned. That said, your 3M sticky pad might be optimised for the cooler application.

The 3M tape does seem to be very good and seems rock solid .

• Like 1

On 25/03/2024 at 07:10, bottletopburly said:

initial testing in the house gave a reading of approximately 10degrees below ambient temp

Appears to be in line with my results. I used off the shelf smart phone Peltier cooler on ASI585MC. Best results will be during the summer months.

It'd be interesting to know how many amps the peltier draws as that's usually the main burden when using batteries to power the rig, I know when I tested via my air on a cooled cam the draw can vary up to 2A just for cooling alone if it's warm out. For my DIY fan trial I added in an in line resistor so I could regulate the fan speed and assume the same can be done with the peltier.

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

It'd be interesting to know how many amps the peltier draws

I tested consumption on Black Sharks

Screenshot_20240329-2031142.thumb.png.5f8e9f4ee51030d69f2f696cc5156986.png

You can also choose various voltage and power. I bought this below as it was fitting to be run directly off ASIAIR

image.png.6d23a59253359be4d68facbb2f4f26c0.png.85a1d3bf6e51d6498573a35ee4e61635.png

But then discovered Black Sharks and never used TEC Module.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...