Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 80ED Refractor - Deal of the decade?

Pretty much the same as far as quality and image are concerned?

The Skywatcher has a dual-speed focuser and is supplied with tube rings and a dovetail, whereas the Celestron has a single-speed rack-and-pinion focuser and a clamshell with a built-in dovetail. Optically they both have Synta-made optics that benefit from Ohara FPL-53 glass for the ED element. About a year ago Synta began using German Schott glass for the crown element but we don't know whether this model benefits from that. Either way, no other telescope offers as much performance per £ so you really can't go wrong, assuming you can still find one at the clearance price!

I wonder what its replacemant will be....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah ... same. Got mine from Rother Valley Optics (thanks to johninderby for pointing out they still had them in stock) for £340 with mount.

Still, it's a good deal so I'm not upset at all, although £175 (inc vat) for the OTA and £315 with mount on Sherwoods is an unbelievable deal :)

By the way, can anyone recommend an adaptor for my Canon 400D for use with this scope? When there are finally some clear skies I want to get some Moon shots.

• 3 months later...
Thanks John - it seems 365Astronomy.com have them listed for £224. I'm gonna check if they still have em in stock.

P.S. hopefully I was not breaking any rules with this as I believe that FLO sold their last one long time ago...All my respects to FLO...:D

Yes, you were. And you know it.

Hah ... same. Got mine from Rother Valley Optics (thanks to johninderby for pointing out they still had them in stock) for £340 with mount.

Still, it's a good deal so I'm not upset at all, although £175 (inc vat) for the OTA and £315 with mount on Sherwoods is an unbelievable deal :D

By the way, can anyone recommend an adaptor for my Canon 400D for use with this scope? When there are finally some clear skies I want to get some Moon shots.

I'd go with the MaxDSLR and the 50mm Extension tube... works a treat with my 450d on mine .

Archived