Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 80ED Refractor - Deal of the decade?

Hi

D.Hinds is selling their Celestron 80ED refractors at £185.00 delivered (bank holiday special) so if you've been thinking of getting one don't leave it too late. I wasn't intending to buy one, really, but at that price !!!

John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! Gutted- I just bought one from Steve at FLO last week for £214 plus postage!!

I am as astonished as you are Stephen!

DHinds is Celestron's UK importer so can offer it at this remarkable price.

Given the circumstances I'll arrange that you have a £36 credit. If anyone else has bought a Celestron C80 ED OTA from FLO in the last few days please contact us.

HTH

D'oh! Anyone know where else is selling them?
Follow the link in my post and you'll have one on a CG-5 mount (non goto). Another £130 over the price of the 'scope at £341... Could then buy a GOTO upgrade... the first one I came across is for £350 see: GOTO kit with 12V DC servo motors | GOTO kits | Components | Astronomica (you may be able to get a cheaper one...) £700 all in for full CG5 goto with ED80...

HTH

Thanks John - it seems 365Astronomy.com have them listed for £224. I'm gonna check if they still have em in stock.
If it's like any other Celestron piece of kit, the shops don't keep stock and they are shipped from David Hinds (telescopes plus) - the importers - direct. At least it was like that with my NexStar 6SE I bought from Telescope Planet (I will never buy from there again) and the C6-N/CG-5GT from FLO (great service).

The one I bought I spoke to someone at David Hinds who said I had the last one (they had shipped another 2 today...)

If it's like any other Celestron piece of kit, the shops don't keep stock and they are shipped from David Hinds (telescopes plus) - the importers - direct.

That isn't entirely true, at least not with FLO. We currently keep stock of the five most popular Celestron telescopes and most of the accessories, though we do prefer to drop-ship large items as it reduces delivery costs. (Drop-shipping is one of the reasons online stores are cheaper than traditional high street outlets).

Coincidently, we still have one C80EDR left at £214 but it arrived with a faulty clamshell so is now fitted with Skywatcher tube-rings and dovetail (a much better setup) for the same price. We agreed today to give an SGL member last refusal but if it hasn't gone this week we'll offer it to whoever next PMs an interest.

HTH

That isn't entirely true, at least not with FLO. We currently keep stock of the five most popular Celestron telescopes and most of the accessories, though we do prefer to drop-ship large items as it reduces delivery costs. (Drop-shipping is one of the reasons online stores are cheaper than traditional high street outlets).
I stand corrected :)
Coincidently, we still have one C80EDR left at £214 but it arrived with a faulty clamshell so is now fitted with Skywatcher tube-rings and dovetail (a much better setup) for the same price. We agreed today to give an SGL member last refusal but if it hasn't gone this week we'll offer it to whoever next PMs an interest.

HTH

LOL... shame I didn't know about that 2 hours ago :D

HTH

ho ho ho, it is I who have bagsied the last one :D but I have one question - is anyone here using the C80EDR on a (big) photographic tripod - Steve mentioned that there can be problems with the OTA twisting on the mount because the supplied shoe only has one hole rather than two. How bad is this "twisting problem"? I only have a photographic tripod so if it ain't gonna work, I will leave it.:)

thanks all

Dan

Hi

I use a Manfroto geared head that has the large 410PL QR plate with a rubber top surface that grips very well. Doesn't twist at all. If your using something with a small QR plate that could be different.

John

when i first got my c80 ed i couldnt resist sticking it on my cheap argos photo pod rather than swaping OTAs on the astro mount and while there was a bit of twist it only tended to occure when i forgot to slacked the mount before moving it so yes it does twist but not too bad

Ah well ... am trying 365astronomy and Rother Valley Optics.

Incidentally, how does the C80ED compare with the Evostar Model? Pretty much the same as far as quality and image are concerned?

Archived