AZStarPRO – AZ drive GoTo controller for azimuth mount SkyTee 2

Coco

Hi

Project completed, SkyTee with goto running Sky Safari 6 Pro via Skywatcher Synscan Pro.

Did a little video and will follow it up with a build etc

1 X AZStarPRO – AZ drive GoTo controller for azimuth mount SkyTee 2 - $269 + £54 VAT

1 X OVL SkyTee 2 Dual Load AZ Mount - £Second Hand

2 X 0.9deg 1.33A 34mm Nema 17 Bipolar Stepper Motor For Engraving Printer Machines - £26.78

2 X Stepper Motor Mounting Bracket Steel
 Holder -£9.98

2 X 48 Tooth GT2 Pulley with 6mm bore -£5.80
2 X 16 Tooth GT2 Pulley with 5mm  bore - £2.74
2 X 168 Tooth Belt -£4.80

1 X 5.5x2.1 Male to Female plug (10)- £2.29

2 X Rj45 Female to 8 Pin - £9.98

You will need to extend the cap head bolt on the worm carrier and pack it approx 3mm 

Fun building and learning ££££ 

Special thanks to Alexander at Astro Gadget

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Very good, brilliant results.

I have one of Alexanders EQ Power Control Boxes. Can I as a question? Does the metal surround on your control box get hot to very hot? I ask because mine does, and quite frankly it concerns me.

Thanks Dave.

Warm but its only running little steppers plus it tight against the extension tube, that might be absorbing some heat, I've just fitted 2.1 amp steppers and have yet to see if it gets hot, testing in the garage isnt really a real test, the kit can take Nema 23 although low amp rated, that'll be the next project for the 12 inch dob if I can find some big worm wheel kits. Maybe fitting some 12V micro fans? with a bag of gel bags in a film canister? 

Cheers Guy

Wish my daughter would indulge me with a large telescope!

I'm just starting to play with electronics and stepper motors with the goal to build myself some stepper powered contraptions for my scopes (autop focuser and EQ platform).  I'm struggling with the nomenclature for steppers and understanding how the powering of them relates to the rating on the motor itself.  I'll get there in the end I'm sure.  The SkyTee 2 is on the cards for myself also so this project is very interesting.

I do love how quiet they are.  I still couldn't velieve the diffrence between the coffee grinder powered AZGTi and my stepper Gem 28.  

• Like 1

On 16/05/2024 at 21:27, Ratlet said:

Wish my daughter would indulge me with a large telescope!

I'm just starting to play with electronics and stepper motors with the goal to build myself some stepper powered contraptions for my scopes (autop focuser and EQ platform).  I'm struggling with the nomenclature for steppers and understanding how the powering of them relates to the rating on the motor itself.  I'll get there in the end I'm sure.  The SkyTee 2 is on the cards for myself also so this project is very interesting.

I do love how quiet they are.  I still couldn't velieve the diffrence between the coffee grinder powered AZGTi and my stepper Gem 28.  

Graham

I felt the same, but started with a basic learning kit and followed some youtube videos, in the end I just bought a kit from Alexander at Astro-Gadget, unfortunately  it wont plug and play with big 6600 drivers as there is no feedback to the control unit regarding step angles so the rules out Nema 23 big powerful motors for my 12 inch dob, may have to use a strain wave gearbox or low amp Nema motors driving a planetary gear box. 

In the mean time I still learning OnStep 

All fun and games

Cheers Guy