SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A shocking setup

I was setting up to do some images of the moon with my Neximage setup and using the laptop to drive the SE8. Both are firsts for me so setup in daylight. I had to unplug the hairdryer that I use to demist the optics and as I grasped the plug ZZZZZZwwwwwwwOUCH.

I dropped the extension reel as I stepped back into a hole full of water.

Shocked I was and an electrical burn to my pinky. The pics show the reason. I had dropped the extension reel last observing night and the plug had broken. My finger was on the fuse end of the live wire.

Please if you use an extension lead as I do dont forget to check it before use. Interestingly the RCD which trips when a light blows didnt jump to my defense.......

post-15088-133877370395_thumb.jpg

post-15088-133877370404_thumb.jpg

"Bigwings," you very nearly had a set of wings you don't want!

Sobering advice for us all.

As everyone else is saying - I too am gald to hear that you are OK. I will certainly check all my 13 amp plugs.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

philsail1

buy a more sensitive inline RCD. These things can save your life

... but aren't foolproof. You need to connect to earth to get a current through to detect.

High voltage electricity, outside, is dangerous. Use only weatherproof (IP55) plugs & sockets - indoor domestic 3 pin equipment should definitely not be used outdoors. Inspect the cable for fraying every time its used. Plug material must be non-breakable rubber, not bakelite, polyvinyl chloride or other materials intended for indoor use. Use a RCD and a fast action circuit breaker, not a slow action fuse, to protect the circuit.

OUCH! Good call to remind us to always inspect electrical equipment regularly

I fell face-on a free standing lamp at a neighbour's house with a bare live wire on the part where the bulb goes once. A curious feeling, as the electricity coursed through my right tooth filling down to my right foot....it's the accelerated heart rate afterwards that's hard to cope with!!

The RCCD fitted in the distribution board is more for equipment than "personal" protection..

you were "lucky" that it was a point to point shock across the same part of the body...your finger... thats why the "old" hands work on equipment with one hand in their pocket when working on live kit...

You need to make sure that you use a seperate RCCD on any power that you are going to use to run "tools" or astro equipment outside as it will be designed to trip at a lower curreent and in a faster trip time ... use the test button "frequently" ...

Peter...

Archived