Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Picture of the week.

Jeff RV

Back to the main topic. Yes I think this sort of 'diversion' is fine and dandy, but don't overdo it! It would spoil the amusing aspect if it happened more than once or twice a year, I think. Remember this is primarily an astronomy forum, and surfers landing on this site are going to expect to see primarily the wonders of the sky...

Pete, how is it amusing?

Tony..

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeff for what its worth, I am right behind you. But then my previous postings may have already brought you to that conclusion.

Apart from being at a star party, there is almost nothing astronomical here. Its pics of friends in a field, who are only known by a few people. To most folk all it is is a picture of a telescope and some people looking away from a camera. Whilst it may bring back good memories of a star party for a few, to most it means nothing, and this choice is thus strange for POW.

I am not saying that POW should go to those with awesome equipment, it should go to the most outstanding image, whether it be a long exposure of leo or someone who has improved their imaging standard a lot over the previous month say.

at the very least it should be astronomical.

T, I dont think Pete means amusing in a funny haha sort of way, rather in the novelty aspect, and he's right about that.

Paul, when you have finished writing up your list of rules for SGL, could you post a copy for me please.

I reckon enough's been said from both sides now though? Let's get on with grabbing some more piccies, I can see stars out there!

Thank you one and all for your valued opinions and comments. :icon_rolleyes:

Apart from being at a star party, there is almost nothing astronomical here.

Two astronomers and a telescope? nah your right there nothing else astronomical there... :icon_rolleyes:

No one moans when two pictures are chosen? It is after all PICTURE of the Week not PICTURES. But thats just accepted as OK as in the opinion of the judge that week, there was two images that jumped out that week.

TJ was judge, thats the image he chose.

Side stepping the discussion slightly, there have been a couple of comments about winners having expensive gear but to put this into perspective I remember several winners who were clearly chosen not because their image was exceptional in comparison with all the others but because their image showed their considerable 'improvement' over a period of time regardless of the equipment in use. From what I have seen over the last couple of years, any one of us could win the coveted POW and the winners are certainly not limited to members with expensive systems - one of the best POWs I ever saw was an eyeball, paper and pencil contribution so although equipment is obviously important, it is not a guaranteed route to success!

I may be way off mark, and i know nothing of astro-photography, but it does seem like sour grapes. Surely a photo should appeal to all members/visitors to SGL, not just the select few.

Surely a photo should appeal to all members/visitors to SGL, not just the select few.

Can't be done old boy!

Wasn't it some American President who said "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time". :icon_rolleyes:

Its POW, not subdivided into to differant catagories. Now we have just passed through the early star party season, The Isle of white, Kelling Heath and SGL4 and IMHO TJ's choice sums up the spirit and flavour of these wonderful astronomical events.

Side stepping the discussion slightly, there have been a couple of comments about winners having expensive gear but to put this into perspective I remember several winners who were clearly chosen not because their image was exceptional in comparison with all the others but because their image showed their considerable 'improvement' over a period of time regardless of the equipment in use....

Well, I won it once using a £200 scope and a £40 webcam.

It appears that you don't need the scope now though.:icon_rolleyes:

Well, for what it's worth, I think that POW should embody just what the forum wants it to be. And by the 'forum' I mean its members - not its rules - not its consititution - not its Moderators or Administrators (though I appreciate they do a grand job!) .... it's the ordinary folk who take the trouble to post up messages on this forum that make the forum what it is.

OK enough of stating the obvious. I, as one of the forum, have stated my case, but my voice is one of many...

And, when I said 'amusing' I was thinking in the sense that TJ put it, above. Sorry perhaps I used the wrong word, it should have been 'diverting' or 'entertaining' but there: you know what I meant!

And furthermore, for those who do want a rigidly-defined imaging contest, they need look no further than this forum's giant transatlantic cousin, CloudyNights! There they do a monthly imaging challenge, the rules are very strictly defined, the subject is set by the admins (this month's subjects are M101 for DSLR imagers and M3 for CCD imagers, for anyone who wants to go to CN and have a gander!). It's fun and I'm not saying there's anything wrong in CN's version, but it's different than what SGL does, I see no reason for SGL to copy it unless that's what the forummers here want! (I did have a bash at CN's challenge a year or two ago: the subject was M15 - the standard was way way beyond me and I scored a predictable nul points :icon_rolleyes::D)

CN is a great forum, but then so is SGL!

But AFAIK "POW" on SGL isn't a "challenge" or a "competition" although some people seem to think it is or want it to be...
My point precisely. Although CN's 'challenge' doesn't carry any financial or material reward, only kudos, still it is a 'competition' as such... I suppose it's a sort of human weakness or frailty - the burning desire to get 'noticed'...

Maybe I digress somewhat. But ever since I was a kid at primary school, striving to beat my classmates at the spelling or arithmetic test or whatever, there's been a spirit of 'competing' instilled in my psyche. Maybe it's less so with later generations, with modern teaching methods and what-have-you...

Just to clarify what POW is on SGL and what it was set out to do. (seems there is some confusion on this point)

POW is the "forum organizers" way of highlighting when some sort of exceptional/unusual/improved or thought provoking image has been posted on our boards. A nice accolade to have awarded to unsuspecting imagers me thinks!

IMHO if you are taking images just to post on SGL because you specifically want POW awarded to you and your image then you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

By all means post your images on SGL to share them with loads of like minded people, but don't automatically think that your image will be considered for POW. (no matter how much you think you or anyone else deserves it)

Archived