Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Jeff RV

Picture of the week.

Whilst i know it's not easy to pick an image week after week for POW, i'm sorry to say i honestly can't see why that choice was made this weeks winner rather than the norm.

Yes it's a nice photo that depicts the moment as TJ implies, but it has nothing to do with the hard graft that people put into resolving astro images.

What next week one wonders? Lulu's hat!!

If this is going to be the case in future then maybe this is a call for two categories as this where this seems to be going.

Just my opinion!

Cheers all.

Jeff.

It appears that Roger wanted further discussion away form the main thread... so please feel free to vent your week old anger and displeasure in this thread instead...

Edited by SteveL

I am going to stick up for TJ's decision - Picture of the Week doesn't imply that the image has to be a picture of a celestial object.

I think it is a good think that there is variation in the pictures winning - otherwise the Picture of the Week will become deep-sky object after deep-sky object, with maybe an occasional moon thrown in, and once-in-a-blue moon a planetary shot.

I, for one, applaud the fact that the PoW judges are thinking outside the box!

Cheers,

Richie

I think the justification is there. We have a great forum here with some great members, so let us reflect that in eveything we do, even picture of the week. Astronomy should be fun.

Yep me to ... I'm with you TJ...

I have already made a comment in the original thread.

If people want to see the most technically accomplished images then APOD is a good place to look and you can get a daily fix...

Peter

If people want to see the most technically accomplished images then APOD is a good place to look and you can get a daily fix...

Peter

Can't argue with that.

Why not run a 'Members choice' thread in addition to POW......the most nominated image,regardless of subject,wins?

Think of all the fun to be had criticizing individual choices! :icon_rolleyes:

Cloudwatcher - thats an excellent idea - in fact, I believe this ere forum has the facilities to do so, where one can vote on a thread!

Admins - is that doable?

it shook me a bit when I first saw it but I don't have a problem with astronomy pictures. It came from a star party at which there were a lot of people in attendance, I can't see the choice being repeated on a regular basis.

Dennis

I think we should "support" the judging team in the excellent work that they do it must be a time consuming task they do far more than just a passing casual glance as can be seen in the text that they post with the POW.

I think its nice to comment "constructively" on the images that they post both for the people mentioned in the post and as recognition for both the "imager" or "artist" but also the judges time and effort but dint see any point in taking issue with the decisions that they have made...

Instead of a populous vote ... other sites have "karma" or "kudos" but why is there a need for that what are people trying to achieve when they post their images or sketches on the forum... I just enjoy sharing my efforts "warts and all" .

I also like seeing how peoples "efforts" are improving over time as they learn new techniques or have been helped by the assistance thats often provide though this forum.

Perhaps others are seeking recognition or glory.... well for that nothing beats seeing you images in print - look how many of the images in SAN are from SGL imagers each month - or aiming even higher images on APOD...

Peter....

I've not seen this POW until today, so i was a little late with my comments, yes about a week!!

Ole well!! One mans meat, as the saying goes. :icon_rolleyes:

Jeff.

Might i put my tuppence worth in here.A couple of weeks i was fortunate enough to be awarded the Picture of the week for an image taken on a camera tripod,camera and 50mm lens,no astro gear.

There is no way i,and i'm sure a few others can ever come up with deep sky images to challenge the best that are posted here.The standard over the last year or so has risen so much and also the equipment used is mind boggling that even though people are still amateurs the end products are as good as you will see anywhere and you have my deepest admiration for your dedication,knowledge and skill.

So for guys like me who cant compete in that department it is nice to know that occassionaly when i do manage a half decent image of something outside of the deep sky genre that to be even considered for potw is more than enough for me,so sorry Jeff i have to say that whilst deep sky imagers like yourself have to put in all the hard graft of resolving,processing your images you should maybe be more appreciative of the fact that you have all the gear which enables you to take such images.

Maybe one day i'll get around to spending several thousand on the required kit and when somebody wins potw with a "camera shot" i might be miffed about it too but i hope not.

As for different categories or a members vote,is there really any need for it?Its a priviledge to be able see all the wonderful images of varying standards that are posted on here and just because an image doesn't win potw it doesnt make that image any less appealing to me.(steps down from soapbox)

I don't see any defining categories being introduced to POW any time soon.

IMHO this would just water down the honour of having your image chosen.

I too am glad that its not just given to the person with the most expensive kit or the person who took the most subs or the person that spent loads of time on processing.

Up till now all the images chosen have really stood out (even last weeks)....

I like the images posted on here and I like the idea of picture of the week, however, as has been stated, not everone has the time, skill, or financial clout to turn out images that are regularly posted on this forum, a percentage of which are considered good enough to be published in national magazines.

My take on the whole thing is that this is SGL, that picture was of SGL members at a SGL event. where's the problem ?

What next week one wonders? Lulu's hat!!

Jeff.

Woah! Don't dis the hat! There's going to be a constellation named after it soon. :icon_rolleyes:

I would like to point out, that almost any camera pointed at the night sky is capable of achieving a good image, guided, scope, or whatever, so this is not about what equipment one is using.

I've been a member of SGL since Nov 2006, and i have to say i've never yet seen this type of pic win once prior to this.

That's my point!! it's nothing to do with equipment.

Jeff.

Woah! Don't dis the hat! There's going to be a constellation named after it soon. :icon_rolleyes:
;) It's a lovely hat. :)

Jeff.

I'm also with TJ on this one as well.

It was a different and thats not a bad thing. One non astro photo compared to say 50 astro photo's.

So what. TJ picked what he thought was a good choice and I for one think it was bold and brave move. Well done.

It's a funny thing. Every week people's opinion is split and different to the judges decision, Fred should've won instead of Bill, Tom instead of Harry etc. Of course, everybody wants their own image to be picked too.

Did you read the whole thread through Jeff? It's not the photo, it's the bigger picture.

For what it's worth, I check APOD every day. When this image was posted APOD: 2009 January 29 - Eclipse Shirt 2009 I really didn't appreciate it as being worthy amongst its peers, but it got me to thinking in a different direction. And as the APOD choosers tend to bowl a googly every now and again, you will probably find that I do the same, just to keep folks on their toes ;) Look on the bright side, it means anybody with any kit or none at all except a camera phone can have a picture chosen. And until SGL admin decide that only pictures of celestial objects can be awarded PoW, then that's how it'll be.

Go kart racing was always more exciting when the steering rope snapped, you never knew quite where the thing was going to go, but it was fun finding out!! Try to enjoy the ride :icon_rolleyes:

Cheers

TJ

I've been a member of SGL since Nov 2006, and i have to say i've never yet seen this type of pic win once prior to this.

Then you'll also know that until now only Rog and Martin (and SteveL once or twice) have judged POW (EDIT: Okay, there were some more judges in the past..). Now TJ has joined the judging "panel", new blood has been introduced and some different choices are to be expected.

I think TJ was very bold to choose this image - it hasn't been done before - it's radical, but he justified his choice perfectly and has got people talking.

Nowhere on the forum does it state what POW can include or exclude and TJ has realised that and widened the horizons. Some images just capture what amateur astronomy is all about, even if there's not a star in sight. For this open-mindedness and boldness I applaud TJ and personally, I hope there are more choices like this in the future!

Andrew

Edited by Andrew*

anybody with any kit or none at all except a camera phone can have a picture chosen.

TJ

I'm all for that! :icon_rolleyes:;)

Alright!! point taken TJ, i just always assumed POW was for astro images only.

Besides i'm running out of plasters. :icon_rolleyes:

Jeff.

Coma Berenices?

Coma Berenices?

Nah!..... That's been done,Richie.......... something like ...... Pallens Lulu Caput. ;)

(Lulu's green head,don't know the Latin for 'HAT' :icon_rolleyes:)

If it's a new constellation you're after, sorry guys all the sky area is already taken - your best bet is to gun for a carve-up of one of the existing ones .... Argo used to be the largest constellation, until it got split into Carina, Puppis and Vela, years ago. Now that honour is bestowed on Hydra. Caput Hydrae anyone?

Nah!..... That's been done,Richie.......... something like ...... Pallens Lulu Caput. ;)

(Lulu's green head,don't know the Latin for 'HAT' :icon_rolleyes:)

Don't think there is one, the Ancient Romans didn't go in for that sort of headgear - but 'helmet' is 'galea' IIRC. Make something of that? Galea Luluis Hydrae?

Back to the main topic. Yes I think this sort of 'diversion' is fine and dandy, but don't overdo it! It would spoil the amusing aspect if it happened more than once or twice a year, I think. Remember this is primarily an astronomy forum, and surfers landing on this site are going to expect to see primarily the wonders of the sky...