Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL5

I have to aggre with SteveL (being one of those imagers who was up untill 5.00 am ish for three nights in a row in Sept 2008). Not having the ideal site at home for imagining I try and take advantage of the dark skies at kelling and stay up as long as possible :cool:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I beg to differ... at the last 2 Autumn Kellings, the last people on the field are always the APs......and Sept 2008 had a similar number of imagers left. I cant remember too many names of the survivors from last year.....

*Cough*... at Sept 2008 Kelling I seem to recall querying MartinB as to why he was still imaging when the eastern horizon was brightly lit with the approaching sun - at the time I wasn't sure what he meant by his simple response "Hydrogen Alpha".

It ain't always just the imagers left although I'm happy to be the exception that proves the rule :cool:

James

One of the things that really inspired me about SGL4 was the large number of people still observing well after 1am. Generally at Kelling a little walk around at 1am reveals most people are fast asleep and all you can hear is a cacophany of snorers... :cool:

When I called a halt at about 4.45am there were one or two still up packing up their kit.

I'm already counting down the days...

James

I went for a walk at Kelling with Daz (I think) through the redfield at about 1am, even though it was completely clear there was almost no one awake - t'was very odd.

Got back to our little corner of the blue field and most people were still up.

I called it a night at 4am and there were still people doing stuff...

Can't wait till September for Kelling and April for SGL5!

ant

i will say, wen i stayed at kelling last time, people were generally asleep by 1 - 2am i did get the feeling they were not die hard astronomers attending.

I think Astroninja and i noticed that last Sept.

i am booked to go again this year, but to be honest whether i do so again depends very much on the pitch i get.

Kelling, with the best will in the world is over subscribed now, with often the best pitches being taken well in advance.

The other issue is, we have over hanging trees, last time i was plagued by these.

.... at about 1am, even though it was completely clear there was almost no one awake - t'was very odd.

Can't wait till September for Kelling and April for SGL5!

ant

I'm with you on this one Ant....Couldn't believe how many were asleep at that time!:icon_scratch:Like you say, I can't wait until these two star parties. Hope the clouds hold off like the last two times:)!

Stef

I can't wait for SGL5 :icon_salut: Are people fairly open about their scopes, letting fellow SGLers have a peek down them now and again? Or is there a strict code of conduct about this. Also... is there a way of knowing when someone is imaging without having to ask? I'd hate to walk in front of someone's scope and ruin something :cool:

I can't wait for SGL5 :cool: Are people fairly open about their scopes, letting fellow SGLers have a peek down them now and again? Or is there a strict code of conduct about this. Also... is there a way of knowing when someone is imaging without having to ask? I'd hate to walk in front of someone's scope and ruin something :)

Anyone visually observing will most probably be happy for others to have a peek - the imagers are usually noticeable from the glow of their laptops :headbang: Generally if you appraoch an imager from the direction of their screen, i.e. walk up behind them you are less likely to walk into their setup :icon_salut:

At SGL4 we had a FlexTube AUTO set up and some bino's for anyone who wanted to use them - quite a few did so and lots of people were happy to let me have a look through their scopes when I went wandering around at about 1am :D

Starparties are great events for getting a peek through telescopes you'll never otherwise get a chance to look through.

James

I want to look through a huge Dob at SGL5 :cool: You've all got prior warning now :headbang:

I've acquired a severe case of aperture fever after looking through large dobs at SGL4 :D- I think my bank balance may shortly suffer long-term damage.:icon_salut:

Still be faint grey fuzzy blobs you'll be looking at....

Mmm... but they are bigger, better, slightly-less-faint grey fuzzy blobs....:)

Still be faint grey fuzzy blobs you'll be looking at....

I disagree with you peter, if you compare the image of a 12" DOB to a 130pm its much much better also it depends on the quality of eyepiece you use aswell I found at SGL4 the the images were quite clear with Johns Ethos through Alex's 12" Dob.

Obvious, it'll never be as good as a few long exposure images captured and stacked etc.

Cheers

Neil

As I said what floats your boat and staring through a very expensive EP into a lump of a scope just doesn't do it for me ... I rather remove the weakest link (the Mk 1 Human Eyeball) and replace it with something that can actually work reasonably well in Low light to produce a colour image...

Archived