Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL5

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all Owen.

Everyone that goes to SGL5 Observers/imagers alike will be taking it all very seriously i can assure you.

The party only happens if the weather is irreversibly bad, even then its not a big thing, just a few people having a beer or two.....

I think what owen was trying to say was that if you want it all to be serious then go to kelling but if you want to meet some new and old frends and share your knowledge and gain some new and have a laugh, then go to SGL5!

Im defo in on this for next year for sure!

Darren :)

I'm afraid that the organisers of SGL5 take the event very seriously indeed..

New and old friends meet at the SGL organised events and have a fantastic time..Whatever the weather..

Wont get me going to Kelling not when theres an SGL party going on at the same time even if people do take it serious I would rather be with people from this site and Hereford is a great location.

Cheers

Neil

That will clash with Kelling again I think. So observers to Kelling and partiers to SGL 5 ?

Owen

I think I could manage to combine the two, and do some serious partying, if I was pushed...:)

Sorry - that's creating the wrong impression....

I intend to observe seriously all night long...

One of the things that really inspired me about SGL4 was the large number of people still observing well after 1am. Generally at Kelling a little walk around at 1am reveals most people are fast asleep and all you can hear is a cacophany of snorers... :)

When I called a halt at about 4.45am there were one or two still up packing up their kit.

I'm already counting down the days...

James

Message for Astro_ Baby. The Lucksall Caravan Park might have caravans for rent. However, in Fownhope, the village which is one mile down the road from the site, is the Green Man Pub which has on suite rooms for £50 per night. If you decide to come to SGL5 send me a mesage and I will look for other suitable accommodation. This offer goes for other SGL members who don't fancy sleeping under canvas.

Finally, if you fancy some luxury you could always stay at Holme Lacy House which is a Warners Hotel situated the other side of the River Wye opposite the Lucksall site about one mile via the river bridge.

Regards

Mark

One of the things that really inspired me about SGL4 was the large number of people still observing well after 1am. Generally at Kelling a little walk around at 1am reveals most people are fast asleep and all you can hear is a cacophany of snorers... :)

When I called a halt at about 4.45am there were one or two still up packing up their kit.

I'm already counting down the days...

James

That would seal the deal between SGL and Kelling for me. Are you serious James. Finished up at 1 am!! So much for Kelling being the event for serious observers!! :)

I have oftern bemoaned the lack of staying power of the group of observers I head off to a dark site with. blumming lightweights packing up at 2:30am after only starting at 9pm :D Whereas the guys down in Kerry and Clare often don't pack up till 6 or 7am the next day.

Seems like SGL would be the best of both worlds then. Real Night Owls both in terms of observing lasting power and in terms of the craic. ie. The party ain't over till the sun comes back up!! :)

I have a feeling a census of attendee's would reveal...lets just say a different age demographic between the two events. :)

I have a feeling a census of attendee's would reveal...lets just say a different age demographic between the two events. :cool:

I thought there was a good mix of ages at SGL4 - just a lot of people with enthusiasm. :)

I thought there was a good mix of ages at SGL4 - just a lot of people with enthusiasm. :o

Maybe I should refine that. SGL with the late late nights and lots of craic would seem to be attended by the youngish and the older young at hearts whereas Kelling would be attended by the oldish and the younger fuddy duddies :cool::)

I jest of course. I reckon when the guys mention Kelling being a more serious crowd, what that means is probably a more AP orientated crowd. A higher concentration of astrophotographers. They're not trying to see as much as they can see as late as they can stay awake. They have a list of targets they want to get done and 4 or 5 hours till 1am is enough to get them done. They then retire to their tents to do some preliminary processing of their captures on the lappies. Because there is a higher percentage of AP'ers that finish up early, the observing field quickly empties around 1am, the visual observers see almost everyone else pack up, get lonely and decide to retire for the night too :)

I beg to differ... at the last 2 Autumn Kellings, the last people on the field are always the APs. Sept 2007 saw myself, MartinB and Daz the *ONLY* people still awake at 2.30am (all imagers), and Sept 2008 had a similar number of imagers left. I cant remember too many names of the survivors from last year, I was just shattered from 3 nights in a row, but the APs were most definitely still awake when the sun came up.

Archived