Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small Observing report

Managed to get out for 1 hour tonight before the cloud rolled in.

Seeing 3/5, Transparancy 3/5 too 2/5.

Time 20.00-21.00 UT

After several days without observating due to the persitnet lcoud cover this evening the cloud was thin enough to see Mag 3 stars. Not ideal but OK.

I had put the scope out to cool earlier and although my neighbours bonfire meant I had to cover it the scope was still outside and cooling.

I started with Saturn. The Cassini division was clear and 5 Moons were visible. Titan was to the East. The belt in the Southern Hemisphere was clear and the North polar region is becoming more apparent under the rings (this is a Newt view)

The next target was Castor a wide easy split at x266. With the seeing settling down I moved to zeta Cnc and managed a split at x266 but it was a bit hit & miss.

I left the sscope at this point and tried to track down the comet SW3. The high cloud made it a non event as all I could see was orange sky through my Binos.

I return to the scope and whilst gazing to the east I noticed that Mars was the western part of Gemini and very close to M35. I put the 18mm ortho in and swung the scope to Mars. Sure enough Mars was within a degree of M35 but the 18mm Ortho only has a FOV of 0.5 degrees.(45 degrees AFOV/96 Mag)

I dug out my 25mm plossl that came with the scope and has a FOV of just over a degree (52 degree AFOV/48) and sure enough I could get Mars and the top 2/3rd of M35 in the same FOV. This is a conjuction that is probably quite rare so it was good to chalk it up. It may be visible tommorrow.

After observing this for severl minutes the inresing cloud and the drop in the Richmond light dome was making M35 disappear so I decided to call it a night.

Cheers

Ian

Another good one Ian...Always an interesting read.

I set my Astrofest bino's out on the pod for some widefield stuff...You forget how useful bino's can be. Managed an hour then the sky went "Milky" So i'm on here instead :lol:

Another good one Ian...Always an interesting read.

I set my Astrofest bino's out on the pod for some widefield stuff...You forget how useful bino's can be. Managed an hour then the sky went "Milky" So i'm on here instead :lol:

Greg

Same here. My sky seemed to be a combination of milky clouds & orange LP. Fine for breakfast but not for observing.

Did you get to see comet SW3?

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Archived