Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Green hats ....

dweller25

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all goes back to the 14th centrury when a band of wandering mistrels called the 'Starre gasers' roamed the Welsh Marches looting pillaging and repairing banjoes. They were distinguished by their 'Capps d'Vert' and strange rocking from side to side whenever they saw clouds. St Louise of Orca set up an order of nuns in what is now the grounds of Dudley Castle who adopted this distinctive garb in tribute to these valliant players.

This ancient costume has recently been adopted by members of SGL to mark the 500th anniversery of birth of St Louise. Whilst wearing of the Capp d'Vert is not compulsory for SGL members, Wearers are entitled to a 20% discount at various telescope retailers.

I hope this explanation is sufficient.

Sorry Lulu - it's not weird - honest !!!

Michael - a fine tale sir - I shall remember that answer if ever it comes up on "Who wants to be a millionaire" !

I notice Steve (FLO) was wearing the hat so the 20% discount MUST be genuine !!!!

I was relieved to see so many others wore the hat! Richie collared me while I was on my way to the loo. "Everyone's doing it" he said. I had a suspicion that it was a setup and that I'd find I was the only one:icon_jokercolor:

I was relieved to see so many others wore the hat! Richie collared me while I was on my way to the loo. "Everyone's doing it" he said. I had a suspicion that it was a setup and that I'd find I was the only one:icon_jokercolor:

That was the plan .....Originally.

(It was Ritchies idea....Honest.)

Ed

It all goes back to the 14th centrury when a band of wandering mistrels called the 'Starre gasers' roamed the Welsh Marches looting pillaging and repairing banjoes. They were distinguished by their 'Capps d'Vert' and strange rocking from side to side whenever they saw clouds. St Louise of Orca set up an order of nuns in what is now the grounds of Dudley Castle who adopted this distinctive garb in tribute to these valliant players.

Ah yes...how well I remember those newly-repair'd banjoes...we nuns plucked them happily, 'til dawn's rosy fingers awoke the gently-snoring dawn. (Or was that just Mr. Richie in his tent?)

I thank our guiding stars for gifting us with such distinctive, yet serviceable headware.

Blessings upon you, brothers.

The Latest Incarnation of St Louise of Orca :icon_rolleyes::);)

This ancient costume has recently been adopted by members of SGL to mark the 500th anniversery of birth of St Louise. Whilst wearing of the Capp d'Vert is not compulsory for SGL members, Wearers are entitled to a 20% discount at various telescope retailers.

I hope this explanation is sufficient.

Thanks Mike for that excellent explanation! According to the history books at Dudley Castle, the minstrels are known to have made early references to the Dudley Whale in their tune....

St Louise of Orca,

She was a stargazer's daughter.

So she did gloat,

There was a whale in the moat,

Swimming around in the water.

[il

Thanks Mike for that excellent explanation! According to the history books at Dudley Castle, the minstrels are known to have made early references to the Dudley Whale in their tune....

St Louise of Orca,

So she did gloat,

Hehe!

Were you wafted here from paradice?

St Louise of Orca,

So she did gloat,

Ah, Sarah, you are a true wandering minstrel.:icon_rolleyes:

Make sure you bring your banjo to Salisbury (and I'll bring the gin...I'm also bringing my best mate, who is a bit of a giggler, so it should be fun....)

So did anyone manage to actually get any sleep with Richie in the same field with only a thin sheet of canvas between his snoring and everyone else? ;)

I only say this as I have suffered the wrath of his snore, which in my experience is second only to the great snore of Bill Johnson of Vectis (IoW) fame.

Still brings a smile to my face to remember lying on my back in the IoW with a pair of bins :icon_rolleyes:, scanning the cosmos, taking in and admiring all it's beauty, punctuated by Bill's snoring from over 100 feet away... class!

Hope to meet some (or all) of you at Salisbury!

Iain

Hey! It wasn't me I tell ya..... Although, maybe I should make making astro dealers wear stupid outfits a side-hobby....

But, judging from experience, I thought all astronomers wore stupid outfits anyway?!

(Runs off to hide in the cupboard!)

Archived