Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, I don't discuss Alt.Az mounts in the book as they are not suitable for deep sky imaging which is what the book is all about.

Thank you for the update although my alt.az scope is giving me a lot of satisfaction obviously i am limited in the result that i can achieve but still i think that for beginners in AP could worth give a little mention to this alternative :) (imho).

Just ordered my copy of this book. It's a Christmas present to myself.

I'm not ready to move into Astrophotography yet as I'm just a beginner on the "Astro" side (yet to buy my first pair of binoculars - I've got a question logged with this forum asking for advice), although with many (too many!) years of experience on the "Photo" side (first SLR bought in the early 70s).

Also done some photo-manipulation with Photoshop Elements (part of an OU course on Photography), and got interested in hyper-realistic photography (HDR - High Dynamic Range Imaging), so can't wait to apply this to AP.

Everyone says you should read this book *before* going any further with AP, so I'm doing that (if fact, a long way before).

STOP PRESS : I swear I only ordered the book in the last 10-15 minutes, but I've already received an email from Steve confirming that he's signed the book and it's just being packed up for despatch!! 

• 1 month later...

Well, I ordered this book on 10th of January, but till now I did not receive any dispatch email...   wrote email asking about that. I do not expect to arrive so soon to other Europe country, but at least order confirmation would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

So Three years later and an explosion of the kindle and tablet market later.

How is Your stance on the ebook version now?

I have pretty much all my Magazines and books on my iPad (and kindle for books) these days.

I have the physical edition of Your book, but would love to get hold of a digital edition, so I can read it on my iPad. :)

Thanks

So Three years later and an explosion of the kindle and tablet market later. How is Your stance on the ebook version now?

What can I tell you folks? I like paper books!

I went to my local library today and was stunned when they said "we don't have this on our database"

Some Norfolk libraries do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As GuillermoBarrancos says, it would be great to have a digital edition for reading off the phone when the hard-copy is inaccessible.

Just into Chap.5 and finding it all really helpful, delivered with such clarity.

Steve, any chance you might consider supplying an e-copy to hard-copy owners ?????

Cheers Andrew

Hi Andrew and Peter, I'm really pleased that you are enjoying the book - that's what I'd hope for!

I don't like the idea of my book being available in digital format and I recently turned down an approach from a World class publisher because part of the deal would be an insistence on a digital version - this wasn't the only reason but it was a significant factor.

For now, the book will remain as a printed version only but who knows, one day I may haul myself into the 21st century and consider digital but right now it just doesn't float my boat.

for me, it's gotta be paper. Don't know why, but it all seems to sink in so much better....maybe age has something to do with it :).

Mines got pages falling out, dogears, scribbings (I'm fairly hard on text type books) but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hi Andrew and Peter, I'm really pleased that you are enjoying the book - that's what I'd hope for!

I don't like the idea of my book being available in digital format and I recently turned down an approach from a World class publisher because part of the deal would be an insistence on a digital version - this wasn't the only reason but it was a significant factor.

For now, the book will remain as a printed version only but who knows, one day I may haul myself into the 21st century and consider digital but right now it just doesn't float my boat.

I think the 21st century is over-rated Steve :).

I'm very happy with my copy I got from FLO a year ago.  At the time I didn't have the kit to make much use of it but now I've got the AZEQ6 I've started to read it properly.

btw personally I'd only buy kindle books if they were novels, read once and discard type stuff .. which is not the case with this book (& I'm under 40 years old). 

It's not that I would want a digital version only.

Hard copies are ever so much easier to read, give greater tactile satisfaction and can accommodate notes, markups and the like.

However, when I'm parked waiting for my good lady to come out from her series of shops, I'd love to get out my Sammy S3 and get to the next photon level, it's such a fascinating read..

Cheers

Ordered book from FLO a couple of weeks ago, super fast delivery.  A lot to take in, just reading it in stages.  Don't have a telescope yet, still weighting up all options.

Mary

• 6 months later...

A couple of questions about this book if I may.

1. Is it reasonable to use all of the techniques described with GIMP instead of Photoshop?  Now that Gimp has 16 bit support, I'm very keen on using it rather than signing up too the new Adobe cloud model.

2. Does it focus mostly on Deep Sky Stacker or would the techniques be applicable to stacking in e.g. regim?

3. Are there any other Mac users out there (who use an exclusively Mac workflow) who could comment on this book?

Many thanks,

-simon

Archived