Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

RichieJarvis

Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards

Steves a lovely bloke , he even signed my book .

There are two musts for starters and experienced alike.

Join Star Gazers Lounge.

Buy this book.

I am glad I did.

I've had mine a couple of months and it's holding up fine so far, although the cover is starting to peel.

Great book though!

I think this book is brilliant! :) It's certainly one of the best laid out and easy to read books I've ever read. I too found it almost impossible to put down. I ordered it direct from Steve and with the book came a very nice letter from Steve himself - such a nice touch I thought :eek:

I'm glad you're on here Steve - I can say thank you personally for an excellent book which I very much appreciate. Thank you.

Edited by Gina

Book arrived first thing this morning. Brilliant service from FLO.

Steve also took the time to include a letter with the book Fantastic!!

I know what I'm going to read tonight and tomorrow ... and the day after ... and the day after that.

Pete

I ordered mine direct from Steve did not expect it to be available from FLO or would have added it to my latest purchase from them last week.

Any hoo, glad to support a fellow Stargazer.

Great book, very easy reading for what could be quite a dull subject. I found it gave me very relevant information without requiring me to be too involved in the technical aspects. I just want to take good photos.

hi guys just registerd to day hope every is well l

just one question how do i order the 2nd edition direct from steve?

Received my copy from Steve via FLO.

Looks a great read.Hopefully it will answer a lot of questions that I have....:)

Wayne

hi all would the said book be any use to me do you think? i do not have any guide stuff just a 300p on a dob base and a 90mm frac on a goto mount,i do have a cannon 10d and a couple of web cams would i gain any thing from the book ?

My fingers where hovering over the order button but reading that the book falls apart, kind of puts me off.

Just saying.

woahooooooo recived my book to day with personal letter ofc frm steve so thankyou u made my day. i only ordered it yday im going start on it now went to the local library to get few more books out. just keep me busy until the wheathere clears up.

once again steve ty really appraicte it friend

once again steve ty really appraicte it friend

My pleasure, Essa, I hope you enjoy reading it.

My kind mother brought this book for me for Xmas and I just have to say that it is a fantastic book! So I thought I'd add two pennies worth to this thread...!

Do not hesitate to buy this book.

It reads very easily, it doesn't repeat itself and is very concise and clear. There is always the right figure, image or graph in the right place when it's needed to complement the text. It doesn't insist that you need to spend £5k just to get started - i think it's going to save me lots of money! Finally, there is just a wealth of useful information.

Absolutely brilliant.

Hi all

Just ordered Steve`s book on the strength of all these comments. Be nice if you could sign it Steve if you read this :)

Cheers

Steve

I know the front cover says deep sky photography but would this book be helpful for someone starting out on planetary (with aspirations for deep space)?

Hi Rob,

The book really is aimed at deep sky astrophotography. However, if you are using a DSLR camera for Lunar imaging as opposed to a fast frame rate camera then there is some cross-over.

As you have aspirations towards deep sky, it may make sense to buy it later after you have experimented with solar system photography.

The techniques for capturing solar system and deep sky images are pretty much mutually exclusive although the post processing techniques have some common ground.

Thanks Steve

I have just ordered my first camera, a DMK21AU618 (without filters to start with!). I will most likely buy your book in a couple of months after I have started to find my feet

I am trying to build towards deep space and I am hopeful this initial unit will act as a guide later on. I have been advised by a few members that my C9.25 is not suitable for DSO due to its f10 ration

I feel I’m firing in the dark a little at the moment. My next decision is what filter wheel to go for which would be suitable for planets now but be adaptable for DSO later. The shop I purchased the camera from were very very helpful and suggested that as I would need a focal reducer for my scope I should aim for 2” filters?

The advice regarding a focal reducer is good - many DSOs are relatively large so wide field views are desirable BUT don't forget that many galaxies are pretty small do your C9.25 will be useful 'native' for these.

The size of the orifices in a filter wheel and thus the filters that fit them, are dependent on the size of the sensor in use. 2" filters will allow for future proofing as they will suit both small and large sensors but they are, of course, more expensive than their 1.25" equivalents.

What DSO imaging camera do you have in mind for DSO imaging?

My copy arrived this morning safe and sound, pencil sharpening is now under way ready for scribbles in the margins.

I would advise to buy the book before you go out and spend your money on hardware, as you might just save your self a small fortune on the wrong equipment for your particular needs.