Good beginner telescope.

I have a budget of around 300 and would like to a beginner friendly deep space telescope. The minimal research i have done has led me to want to get a reflector telescope as it seems less maintenance. I would preferably like to view star clusters and nebulas so i dont know what focal length i would need. Any suggestions are welcomed. I have been looking at a Celestron PS1000 Newtonian Reflector Telescope.

Edited by Cyc
-wanted to add what i was looking at

Hello and welcome to SGL.

There are lots of threads on here about beginner scopes.

The single most important consideration is you. Your viewing location, storage, etc.
No point recommending a big reflector that you store in a tiny flat and have to carry down 3 flights of stairs to us.
I think you get the idea. Tell us a little about yourself.
If we know where you are, we may recommend dropping in to a scope retailer, or a local club.

A very good source of information is shown in the link below.
FLO sponsor this site but that is not the reason for the link.
They are a very good astro retailer and get first chance on all my new astro kit orders.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

8 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Hello and welcome to SGL.

There are lots of threads on here about beginner scopes.

The single most important consideration is you. Your viewing location, storage, etc.
No point recommending a big reflector that you store in a tiny flat and have to carry down 3 flights of stairs to us.
I think you get the idea. Tell us a little about yourself.
If we know where you are, we may recommend dropping in to a scope retailer, or a local club.

A very good source of information is shown in the link below.
FLO sponsor this site but that is not the reason for the link.
They are a very good astro retailer and get first chance on all my new astro kit orders.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

Thank you for the fast response, i live in London, so lots of light pollution... I would probably use it mainly for back garden use and camping. Ive always been fascinated with deep space and planets. I live in a house, so i could store it next to the garden: in my shed or house. I will have a look at the link now thanks.
-Also i wouldnt mind getting into astrophotography aswell but that would be at a later date when i know what im doing.

Edited by Cyc

A reflector requires the most maintenance of all the telescope types IMO. A very low to virtually no maintenance would be the refractor telescope/ Maksutov design. Reflectors require to be collimated often or at least checked frequently to ensure they are operating optimally. I would personally go for a refractor on an alt/az mount. A small Maksutov would be a good choice for you as well knowing that you can store it in the shed. Maksutov scopes have a cool down time and with storing it in the shed takes you half way there.

50 minutes ago, Cyc said:

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Hi

It's very difficult -if not impossible?- to advise or suggest anything on a forum unless you're already familiar with and have witnessed first hand the possibilities which are available to you.

Perhaps the best suggestion is to go along to an astro club. That will enable you to see all manner of telescopes actually being used; size, weight and even more importantly, the ability to take a look through or an image uising each of them. The guys there will be only too pleased to help. Just remember though that each member will tell you that their telescope is the best. Indeed, each will possess several telescopes and each one of those will also be the best!

But seriously, make a shortlist from hands on and purchase something you know will be suitable.

Cheers and HTH

Personally for that budget and your requirements (deep sky, planets, viewing from London AND wanting to take it off site AND imaging) I wouldn't look at a scope for that price. To have one setup which can do all that costs considerably more and usually each requirement sometimes needs one specific setup unless you know what you're doing.

Start basic with some large aperture binoculars which can be tripod mounted (this is very important as the typical tripods you get with starter scopes are not worth the material cost, a tripod mounted set will ensure you get shake free views and can slowly locate targets better). This is a relatively small cost of entry, doesn't take up space, is hassle free and will give you an idea of what is possible and what equipment you may wish to move onto next.

Or, to be completely blown away with the deep sky targets which are out there, up your budget slightly and get a ZWO Seestar automatic imaging scope, no good on planets due to the short focal length but there isn't anything within the same ballpark budget which can see so much with very little user input or knowledge.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2