Widefield on the cheap

I was talking to someone (Michael M?) at SGL4 about using dirt cheap manual focus lenses with the appropriate adaptor for widefield imaging.

Has anyone done this? Are there any issues with focusing at infinity or electronic incompatibility or anything else?

I really want to try this route as I don't need AF or IS for astro-work.

Advice appreciated!

Andrew

Works fine...

Just need to make sure you have the right adaptors that will allow infinity focus .. the easiest thing to do is use T-mount lenses in which case its almost guaranteed to work... It can be an issues if you try and use say a nikon lens on a canon camera.. An infinity focus adaptor is available but its mighty thin...

Peter...

T mount lenses can be mounted to any camera using the appropraiate t mount adaptor... M42 is close but not exactly the same the pitch is slightly different and they will bind after about a thread and a bit...

I'll have a quick look for you see whats there...

Peter...

T mount is 42mm diameter by 0.75mm pitch Pentax is 42mm diameter by 1.0mm pitch close but no cigar if you try and mate the two togetehr - waht camera are you looking to use them with Andrew?

If you try and screw a pentax lens into a t adpator it will bind and sometiem not go far enough in to get infinity focus...

T-mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter....

I am aware of the difference Peter (two decades in photo-retail prior to FLO) but I don't think Andrew specifically stated that it should be a T-fit solution.

Many of the early Pentax Takumar lenses with SMC coatings are superb and readily available secondhand.

Thanks for your help. No, I am not biased as to what fitting I use as long as it works! Does there need to be electronic communication between the lens and camera? Because I understand newer Canons have issues with some lenses (the reason I am selling this).

I am just trying to find a good source to browse. eBay means hours of fruitless searching through all the adaptors etc.

Peter - Canon 450D.

Steve, thanks, I'll look out for the Pentaxes

Cheers

Andrew

I am presently going down the same route myself. I have a canon 350 and bought a eos to m42 adaptor on ebay. Have now got a range of m42 mount lenses and they appear to work well.

attached one I took with either the 300 or 400 m42 mount lens. the diffraction spikes are from the blades on the diaphragm.

I also invested in a cheap clone remote to stop any vibration

post-15675-133877369368_thumb.jpg

... I understand newer Canons have issues with some lenses (the reason I am selling this).

Canon do appear to move the goalposts every now and then. If you can demonstrate to Sigma UK that you bought your lens from one of their authorised UK dealers (not ebay or grey-import) then they will usually update the firmware on the lens chip and charge only postage... At least they used to.

<edit> I tested the Sigma 28 f1.8 EX when it was released, when the aperture was reduced by a couple of stops it was very good.

I am aware of the difference Peter (two decades in photo-retail prior to FLO) but I don't think Andrew specifically stated that it should be a T-fit solution.

Many of the early Pentax Takumar lenses with SMC coatings are superb and readily available secondhand.

Steve I know you were just wanted to make sure Andrew was.. i know several people who have tried to get one to fit the other possibly with expensive results...

Peter...

Archived