M31 with askar 103apo and 0.6x reducer

Vash

M31 taken with the askar 103 apo and 0.6x reducer using a canon 800d. 

A total of almost 9 hours using 2 min subs. 

Quite pleased with how this one came out (click for full resolution). 

m31 9h f4 420mm.jpeg

Edited by Vash
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Thanks both! 

I cropped a tiny bit to remove stacking/dither artifacts at the very edges but otherwise it is almost the full aps-c sensor size. 

I did use starnet to remove the stars and stretched them separately from the galaxy but both stars and galaxy only got a normal histagram stretch (I haven't spent the time to understand generalized hyperbolic stretch yet!) 

Thanks. I have been enjoying using this scope. The options of focal length with the 3 flatteners makes it quite versatile for framing. 

I just wish I had a few more clear skies! 

On 14/11/2023 at 11:12, Vash said:

M31 taken with the askar 103 apo and 0.6x reducer using a canon 800d. 

A total of almost 9 hours using 2 min subs. 

Quite pleased with how this one came out (click for full resolution). 

m31 9h f4 420mm.jpeg

Beautiful Image…👍🏻

can I ask if this had been cropped at all, (actually I can see that it has been cropped a bit) and if so can you post the full uncropped image so we can see full corner stars using this reducer…

Edited by Stuart1971

4 hours ago, Vash said:

Thanks Stuart, the crop was quite minimal. Below is an un cropped version. 

M31nocrop.thumb.jpeg.c71e84998584e89eea05386500472df5.jpeg

Those corner stars are excellent, especially with using a 0.6x reducer too,  very impressed, much  better than the Esprit 100 that I have, and I have a good one….supposedly..👍🏻

15 hours ago, Vash said:

I took a bit of a jump getting this scope before there were many reviews but I have been really impressed, especially given the versitiliy and price

I was on the verge but was sidetracked by a good doublet which came up. Still might get a 103 or 120 though if the doublet doesn't prove it's worth photographically.

• 8 months later...

Hi Vash,  

Your image is amazing. I have been trying to improve in my astrophotography and therefore recently purchased the Askar 103 APO for use with my Canon 77D, I took some images of Andromeda. I am interested in your camera settings as my results were not good. Did you use any light pollution filters.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.  

3 hours ago, Astro Alex said:

Hi Vash,  

Your image is amazing. I have been trying to improve in my astrophotography and therefore recently purchased the Askar 103 APO for use with my Canon 77D, I took some images of Andromeda. I am interested in your camera settings as my results were not good. Did you use any light pollution filters.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.  

Hi Alex, thanks for the kind words. 

I believe the 77D has the same sensor as my 800D. I used an iso of 400 and dithered between each image. I found dithering made a big difference with the noise. 

I didn't use any filters but I do live in a reasonablely dark bortle 4 area. Another thing to point out is that in the UK we currently only have about an hour or so per nice of proper darkness, give it a few more weeks and the skies should improve a lot. 

Goodluck with the imaging! 

2 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

really nicely edited. 

Thank you Daniel, I keep wondering if I should re-edit it to pull out a bit more blue in the outer rim of the galaxy. 

9 hours ago, Sunshine said:

A beautiful M31! Fantastic work!

Thank you Sunshine. A few more clear nights would be nice now the nights are starting to get longer would be nice! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vash said:

Hi Alex, thanks for the kind words. 

I believe the 77D has the same sensor as my 800D. I used an iso of 400 and dithered between each image. I found dithering made a big difference with the noise. 

I didn't use any filters but I do live in a reasonablely dark bortle 4 area. Another thing to point out is that in the UK we currently only have about an hour or so per nice of proper darkness, give it a few more weeks and the skies should improve a lot. 

Goodluck with the imaging! 

Hi Vash, Thank you for getting back to me. My setting were Tv 120s, ISO800 and I managed to get 83 lights, (taken between 11:30 and 02:30 on the 28th July ) The Askar 103 scope and 0.6 reducer / 77D was mounted on an AM3 and controlled via the ASIAir Mini. I used Deep Sky Stacker with associated calibration frames. The attached file is the 16 bit tiff output. I was always told the image should be black.  I am thinking something has gone wrong. Any advise.  

AA_042_83F_P1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Alex. Your picture looks like a good start to me. I did a quick edit on the jpg you attached using the free software 'siril'. I did a very small crop, a background extraction and a histogram stretch to darken the background and bring out a little detail. You can find loads of good tutorials on this on YouTube. Your edited image is below. 

Performing the edits on the tiff will be much better than on the jpg. 

Getting a little more time on the target will reduce the noise and allow you to pull more detail out. 

M31editAlex.thumb.jpeg.d41e7371e8b80084e9eaf388e73cd1fa.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Vash,

Thank you for your feedback and for carrying out the process to bring some detail. I will have a go over the weekend. If any I like, I will post a copy. Thank you again. Kind regards, Alex.

7 hours ago, Astro Alex said:

Hi Vash,

Thank you for your feedback and for carrying out the process to bring some detail. I will have a go over the weekend. If any I like, I will post a copy. Thank you again. Kind regards, Alex.

No problem Alex and good luck! I enjoy processing because that's when you start to see the details emerge but there can be a lot to learn. I am certainly still tying to improve. 

• Like 1